Solved! Onkyo HT-R380 subwoofer/LFE not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 17, 2019
Hi, I’ve just setup my Onkyo surround sound system again and for some reason I can’t get the LFE/Subwoofer to work with my Hisense TV (connected via ARC) - when going through the menus and selecting the ‘Level Cal’ setting and going to ‘Subwoofer’ I can hear it just fine which implies that the connection/cables are okay, but when watching things there’s absolutely nothing coming from the subwoofer and it sounds incredibly flat.

Also, if I go to the 5.1 tests on YouTube whenever it gets to LFE it’s absolutely silent.

I’ve tried changing the TV ARC settings to Dolby, RAW, PCM and none work.

Any ideas what could be causing it please?

Solution
Make sure that the sub works when you use the radio or any source connected directly to the receiver.
If your front speakers are set to large in the AVR speaker set up menu change them to small. I assume the center and surrounds are already set small. The TV should be set to Dolby or Raw I think.
Apr 17, 2019
Here’s a video with nothing connected other than the centre speaker into the LFE connection:

View: https://youtu.be/p96wrVGjrfs

All of the channels play something (very quietly) but noticeably the LFE channel doesn’t.

I watched Game of Thrones last night and it sounded awful - incredibly flat. No idea why the LFE channel isn’t doing anything :(

Apr 17, 2019
Thanks so much for your help! I've got it setup as you described now with the front and center speakers set to small (surrounds set to none because I don't have them plugged in!) and the TV set to Dolby :)

Your first bit was spot on though - my problem before was that I was playing everything via the TV (inbuilt apps, and games console connected directly to the TV) but when I plugged them directly into the Onkyo it works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.