Onkyo tx - nr838

Paul Lewis

Estimable
Aug 6, 2015
I just purchased an Onkyo tx - nr838 and I'm losing audio and video just for about 2 or 3 seconds. I changed hdmi cables and have soft reset and done a hard reset with no luck. I had the Onkyo tx - nr609 before and didn't have any issues with it. I have the 7.1 setup. If anyone has a solution I would very much appreciate the info

Does this happen on more than one source? If it does then check if this happens on the radio (or non HDMI sources)? Onkyo has had some HDMI issues.
If it happens on the radio then you may be going into protection due to a bad speaker or shorting connection. Disconnect one speaker at a time until the unit stays on. That one is the one that may have a problem. You can also disconnect each source in case one is sending something nasty into the receiver.
Lastly since it is new if could be a defective unit.

Paul Lewis

Estimable
Aug 6, 2015

Paul Lewis

Estimable
Aug 6, 2015
It doesn't do this on any other HDMI source Blu-ray, game or radio,Bluetooth streaming or net just with tv. I have changed the tv and put it in on DVD Blu-ray and other HDMI sources and it still does the same thing. I haven't had time to contact Onkyo yet but I'm guessing that it's something that not compatible with the tv which is a 2013 Samsung model PN51F8500AFXZA. It a HD smart 3d tv. The same tv worked fine with the old Onkyo tx - nr609. I thank you very much for your input and I hope to come up with a solution soon. If you have any other information on this I would appreciate your input. Again thanks for the info.