Online Ads Could Create 'Million Browser Botnet'

Status
Not open for further replies.

matter37

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Wow. I do use adblock for the sites I actively go to and trust. Like tomshardware or youtube, since advertisements pay for them. I did not realize such a thing on this scale was possible.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Where unwelcome ads are involved. nefarious intent may be assumed. After all, they are intended to separate people from their money, even when they were not interesting in buying or shopping for anything.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
I clean at least 5 systems a day 100% of malware comes from ads that is main reason why people use adblock what they are talking about in this article is already happening with ZBOT and it's variants.
99% of all machines are infected with conduit my personal machines stay clean i use adblock plus and noscript year later after scanning not one malware or rootkit.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
I clean at least 5 systems a day 100% of malware comes from ads that is main reason why people use adblock what they are talking about in this article is already happening with ZBOT and it's variants.
99% of all machines are infected with conduit my personal machines stay clean i use adblock plus and noscript year later after scanning not one malware or rootkit.

So, I guess the fact that my browser has filters that basically don't bother sending data to a couple of dozen ad and tracking sites sort of defeats this?

However, I think that pumping out spam via JS might be a bit on the sensationalist side.

The other thing is that these would only work while you left your browser open. As such, it's a lot less effective than botnets with computers available whenever they're idle - they have to actually have a page with a specific script open.

Status
Not open for further replies.