OnLive Game Service Hits PC, Mac in June

Status
Not open for further replies.

weegee64

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
There is no way that games will be playable with all the latency associated with this. Also, the games you play will most likely have lowered settings, since they cannot hope to run Crysis on very high for thousands of clients, and still make a profit.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
I would like to be able to play my Steam collection with that service. Otherwise no dice! I doubt anyone would re buy their entire gaming library for this.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
No competitive FPS with 2x the latency for me.

And will it be able to render more then 10 Crysis sessions at a time without bringing the cloud down?

cekasone

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
a true gamer can work at a part time job and save enough money to build a decent rig for $1000 bucks. This service is nice...but c'mon now, i love my rig.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]weegee64[/nom]There is no way that games will be playable with all the latency associated with this.[/citation]

Of course there is no way, not playable at all, that is why it's coming out... You need a refill buddy because your glass is completely empty ;)

I'm not saying it's gonna rock right out of the gate but come on, I bet naysayers once said "no way can 5,000 people play an MMORPG at the same time!!!"

joe gamer

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
This is not going to end well. All ISP's have latency inducing equipment and they are not going to upgrade any time soon(Broadband plan or no). This will work well for anything MMO speed or slower. FPS, fighting games, real time strategy, all of those will be laggy. People closer to the servers will dominate any multi-player competition(geographical discrimination, I'm gonna sue!). Someday when EVERYTHING is fiber and data flows at the speed of light, and there are servers in every city, this type of gaming may become the norm but until then you can not bend the rules of physics, there will be noticeable lag, and I know I'm not paying for this shit. Hell I can't even stream Netflix without it pausing once in a while how the hell do they think their going to run whole gaming architecture this way?

ajcroteau

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Let me get this straight, they want me to pay $15.00 for what??? That's just like charging someone who wants to walk into McDonald's just so they can at least smell the food...

ayssius

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
With your own mid range computer you can easily get 1900x1200 resolution on mid-high settings. If you have a high end computer you can up it to 2560x1600. There is no method i know of that can stream 1200p or 1600p resolution video down a non-fibre internet line at 60fps.

So the only thing i can think of is a 480p steam. I'm not really sure about this service. I might just be pessimistic. Id like to see it in action verses a decent local computer and see how the latency/bandwidth/graphics actually stack up side by side.

jnjkele

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
Well, aside from latency issues (where the difference between 20 and 200 milliseconds makes or breaks some games, what about bandwidth caps? Right or wrong, bandwidth caps are already here, and these types of service seem designed to blow them and make us pay for the priveledge. No thanks.

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
Whats really funny is that none of you have used the service so how can you predict that it doesnt work? I have been in the onlive beta testing and it seems too good to be true but I can honestly say it works and well I might add.

I cant say much but I will say that all you people saying that latency is an issue are wrong. They have been working with all the isp's on anything related to bandwith(peak usage,bandwith caps,etc). The only thing that will hold you back is how fast your connection is. If your rockin 10mbs and up, you will be playing games at high resolution but if your lower it depends on the game.

The first thing I did was play crysis warhead and jacked up the anti-aliasing to 8 and since my connection supported it, I must say that it worked very well.My 2500dollar i7 rig cant even play crysis with the anti jacked up to 8. But we all know crysis is a very broken and horribly programmed game but unfortunately its the yardstick and has been for 3 years.

I dont like the pricing structure but this service just may calm down this gpu arms race and lower prices cause if this catches on, no one will need a $600 gpu anymore.

Your connection will determine if your going to play at 1920x1080. Your resolution will downgrade if your isp cant support it. If your like me and have a 1080p monitor and above thats native, if you have to play at lower resolution you have to do it in windowed mode. Anything under your monitor native will look weird.

Ive said too much so understand that I cant go into further detail. I cannot reply to questions. But have a little faith in technology it does work.

blevsta

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
$15 a month wouldn't be too bad if they include a few game rentals in the price. Maybe if rentals were $5 per week and the monthly sub includes 3 rentals per month. I'd consider it. Right now, I'm not even signing up for the free 3 month trial...

Status
Not open for further replies.