OnLive Gaming Service Launches; 1st Year is Free

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragunover

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Lol, lagless, sure.

I've seen *better* servers just connect people with *excellent* internet, we're talking about 100mb/ps here, and I sure as hell wouldn't trust someone's server over 5 feet away to be able to run my games.
sure, if you can handle roughly half a second of lag, quarter at best, then be my guest.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Free isn't really free on this site either:

"During these 12 months, your access to the Service will include free demos and community features, such as member Profiles, Friending, Chat, Spectating and Brag Clip™ videos, but will not include any games, content or other services that are offered for purchase, and which must be purchased separately."

No actual games for free play, just demos!

coupe

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Most the the critics in these comments about onlive make no sense. I don't know where they get their figures from.

Anyway, lets just see how it works out. :)

orionite

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
Always nice to come to TomsH, where the haters continue to hate anything
a) they don't understand
b) they haven't read properly
c) that doesn't apply to them
d) they're not interested in

I've received my activation yesterday. So, contrary to you screaming lot, I've actually played it. It works fine. I played UT3 with no noticable lag, borderlands - same thing. Will it work for everyone, no? Will it be suitable for every kind of game? No. Are there people for whom this is a valid alternative to consoles or PCs? Most definitely. They will also release a set top box for the TV and make it available in future internet TV. (See technology partners)

If you sign up for the founding members program you will get the 1st year for free, so you can check out each game and see how it would work for you. So, if you want to complain about not getting activated right away or feel the need to spread your uninformed hatred because of your own elitist "my gaming rig kicks onlive's ass, any day" attitiude, go right ahead. But quite frankly, I have nothing but contempt for you.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
I got the free year about a month ago (i pre-registered back in october) and I gotta say, im very pleased with how onlive is working so far. I have a 10mbit connection which is pretty decent and Ive yet to experience any lag, you might see something glitchy once in a while but hey, its launch and little things like these are expected so they will fix it in the coming weeks.

Onlive is just awesome imo, I was playing Just cause 2, blew up a bunch of stuff + a gas station and i didnt felt any FPS drop or lag like I do in my PC. Playing demos are a breeze, just click and youre in the game, you dont have to download anything! :D
Good service imo, try it out if you get the chance

billyg45

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
I would like to try it when I visit grandma's house with her state of the art Best Buy computer. Can you just get a week worth of subscription, or is it annual subscriptions only. Also I bet to get the one year of free subscription you have to give them your credit card number and they will automatically renew your subscription for another year. (I hate autorenewals because its usually difficult to cancel from actual personal experiences- hidden on the website, have to call and get sales pitches by 10 different operators before they finally cave in, sales pitches by email for life, or 10 calls to India operators to get it cancelled.)

towely

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I am playing Crysis at 32fps with all settings maxed out, even AA and AF are as high as it can go. It is nice and smooth and fucking sexy looking. Care to re-evaluate your statement?

Is that supposed to be a boast, or what, I'm not quite sure? How does that address what he said? How is this relevant to the topic at hand? What are you doing with your lives?

orionite

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
Hi BillyG. I didn't have to give them a CC, but that may have changed. You should sign up before the promo runs out, to have a chance to get 1 yr of service with no monthly charge. Games you would have to buy, but you can try them all for free first.
Regarding your grandma's state of the art computer: The beauty is, that you don't need that. If you have a good internet connection, have a good ping to one of their server centers and your computer can stream video (like youtube, hulu, netflix etc) you're good to go.

SlyNine

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
[citation][nom]EnFoRceR22[/nom]YOU FAIL at reading comprehension. But since you need it typed out. What he was saying is te game sucks balls. and all its good for is benchmarking. And I 100% agree its a pile of something a dog does when you let it out. and that likely has more playability then crysis.[/citation]

[citation][nom]towely[/nom]Is that supposed to be a boast, or what, I'm not quite sure? How does that address what he said? How is this relevant to the topic at hand? What are you doing with your lives?[/citation]

Excuse me but both of your responses are total Bullshit. The OP was IMPLICITLY SAYING that Crysis sucks, therefore it's just a demo.

And CLEARLY the response was just as implicit. Basically he was saying it doesn't suck and qualifies as a game. How can you infer the implicit meaning of one response but only infer the explicit meaning of another.

Just because YOU don't like crysis, doesn't mean no body else does.

Both your logic fails hard.

chriscornell

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Of course 99% of the users don't complain about lag - I bet 99% of the gamers online are console-nabs who are used to P2P multiplayer and don't know what a dedicated server is. The people who care about lag (me for instance) will keep on buying gaming pcs - so yeah, this On Live thing might be good for the right segment of people.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
It seems to me there are just too many factors involved that can make game play suck with this service. given the potential price and bandwidth requirements, I'd say screw that. I'll give it a shot just for curiosity sake, but dont have high hopes. If a 12Mbit connection in California cant pull off a decent experience, then they're screwed.

WarraWarra

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
Steve Perlman, founder and CEO of OnLive told PC World the lag factor everyone is worrying about

I wonder if he actually has a pc or a pc game or have read or heard about pc games.

If this CEO had any idea or testing experience he would not sound like the head of BP but would have stated this below.

NOT BP / NOT ONLIVE COMMENTS FOLLOW:
We tested and looked at the lag, packet loss, jitter and DNS issues and did this .... to minimize it as well as routing players via local regional servers access to the cloud for optimal game play.
We will continue to monitor and optimize it on a daily basis.

So many people with great idea's but they have no cooking clue what the heck they are doing like this CEO of Onlive or BP CEO.

ROFL.

Just test your connection "Mr. Onlive CEO" using this link http://myspeed.visualware.com/index.php select location and VOIP also test IPTV and VIDEO "dvd codec" from drop down menu to get a idea.
Pingtest.net helps as well to get a idea, "nessoft" pingplotter, "gibson research" dnsbench, "google code's" namebench to figure out about DNS servers and optimizing your connection or pay OpenDNS for dedicated load balancing DNS servers to backup your DNS or accelerate yours.

Linux lag compensate method, higher resources used but can then cope better with 400ms to 800ms+ ping and does not help much for packet loss:
(These are sysctl settings)
net.core.rmem_max = 16000000
net.core.wmem_max = 16000000
net.ipv4.tcp_wmem = "128000 256000 2048000"
net.ipv4.tcp_rmem = "128000 256000 2048000"
net.ipv4.tcp_rfc1337 =1

Why do we as players always have to educate CEO's like this are they too poor or illiterate to hire experienced people or do they only employ "yes men / failure men" ???

WarraWarra

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
[citation][nom]CPfreak[/nom]I don't uderstand, I live in the netherlands and I have 100MB/s for 15 euro per month.[/citation]

You are extremely lucky, I had to beech and complain to my local ISP just to push their max service upto 10MB/s and maybe 1MB/s up speeds in Arizona US$69.99. Phoenix AZ USA was the 5th largest city in the USA growing by 12.5% a year now finally has 40MB's Fibre (March 2010) in maybe 1000 houses and might reach 20MB/s at burst speeds, only after constant extreme complaining and embarrassing the ISP's about their false advertising on TV of Broadband internet.

I had to inform them about slow siberia Russia internet of 24MB/s in 2003 or 50MB/s Virg*n UK Adsl 2009 or actual 7MB/s 3G/Hsdpa London / Rural UK mobile phone internet that you still can not buy here in the USA in most major USA cities over cable or FIBRE internet.

You live in heaven / Europe with good food real wine, decent beer and amazing transportation, amazing internet that we might get here for us$20000.00 a month if we can get a tier 1 backbone / real Fibre connection maybe in civilized East coast USA / New York if even at all possible.

Broadband in USA is 2MB/s avg. if you are lucky enough to get that via Satellite dish "Hughes/DirecTV" or you have 1.5MB/s Adsl or dial-up. This is not Europe, there is long pieces of road that does not have mobile phone signal / coverage sometimes not even in small cities of 10000 residents as it is not financially viable to have coverage.

Do you understand now.

Hong Kong US$26 for 1GB/s internet, Small Town USA US$49.99 Adsl or real monthly bill for 2500GB data = US$249.00 for 2MB/s Adls that is capped at 2500GB per month.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]SlyNine[/nom]Excuse me but both of your responses are total Bullshit. The OP was IMPLICITLY SAYING that Crysis sucks, therefore it's just a demo.And CLEARLY the response was just as implicit. Basically he was saying it doesn't suck and qualifies as a game. How can you infer the implicit meaning of one response but only infer the explicit meaning of another. Just because YOU don't like crysis, doesn't mean no body else does.Both your logic fails hard.[/citation]

i wasnt siting the op so who cares what he was saying. i also wasnt takeing a pole on who liked the game as i could care less. whos logic is failing?

prrrowr

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
Over-the-cloud gaming may initiate development of faster, better servers that will probably deliver the seamless gaming experience as we all expect from OnLIve and their ilk. If there are Gaming Consoles can there also be Gaming Servers? Sony PlayServer?

Status
Not open for further replies.