OnLive Universal Controller, Tablet Apps "Coming Soon"

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
You can play games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution with touch, which is sort of mind bending.

No, it's freaking stupid and will screw up your eyes.

"As a gamer, it makes me happy that I can take my tablet and my controller, stick them in my bag, and take all my games with me," he added.

You're not a gamer, then, if you agree to play on this inferior toy. Hell, even consoles are better.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
OnLive on tablets doesn't make much sense.
How often do u have access to high speed internet while you're not at home?

Might be useful if you can use the tablet like an OnLive-console and hook it up to your TV, but mobile gaming is useless if it relies on a high speed internet connection.

Korn007

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
Well I have a 20mb 4g connection on my tablet everywhere I go and alot of people do who bought I pads and motorola xooms on a contract.

Korn007

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
And trust me im not supporting onlive I dont use the service and probably never will but you gotta give them credit they are coming out with alot of new and creative ideas lately. At least they are trying something new if it works good for them if it fails well try again I guess. But I will stick to my Core i7 and my GTX 580 for my gaming experience. Now if SSD's would be reasonably priced I would be a happy person =)

G

With a 580 gtx im not sure why you dont already have an SSD =P.

While it's fun and has a certain initial "WOW" factor, it's something that has very limited uses i think. It's amazing that you can stream live game content like this for sure, but in a real world scenario the 20mbit 4g connections are rarely 20mbit constant clean line. The second problem i see in this is, the screen. Who in their right mind would be gaming on a 4inch screen instead of 24inch? No matter how good the resolution on the tablet it will still be a microscopic picture compared.

For home use on the TV, this is a great low-cost solution for gamers on a budget. Tons of games at a monthly flat-rate and no worries about upgrading hardware. Competition for the consoles i guess. When is the next gen console out anyways?

Korn007

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
Well to address the SSD issue, I now own a house and my wife allows me a $60 per week so I need to save a while so a SSD is not in my $60 per week budget for a decent size. Keep in mind this 60 per week includes if I want to eat out or rent a movie or buy a game so it goes fast. Before I owned the house the GTX580 was no big deal to her. Now 2nd I dont know of any tablets that have a 4 inch screen I mean mine isnt huge but its a 10.1 inch screen, and I do get a constant 20megs down at home thru my verizon 4g hotspot device. I am sure if I drove around though I would loose service like you said and not get a dedicated speed but if Im at home or at work I get 20 megs all the time and I can play at work =)

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]korn007[/nom]Well to address the SSD issue, I now own a house and my wife allows me a $60 per week so I need to save a while so a SSD is not in my $60 per week budget for a decent size. Keep in mind this 60 per week includes if I want to eat out or rent a movie or buy a game so it goes fast. Before I owned the house the GTX580 was no big deal to her. Now 2nd I dont know of any tablets that have a 4 inch screen I mean mine isnt huge but its a 10.1 inch screen, and I do get a constant 20megs down at home thru my verizon 4g hotspot device. I am sure if I drove around though I would loose service like you said and not get a dedicated speed but if Im at home or at work I get 20 megs all the time and I can play at work =)[/citation]
I guess we all know who wears the trousers in your house

Korn007

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
Hey I just dont want to loose the house like everyone else is doing so she keeps me inline so I dont spend our savings on video games which I could easily do that and car parts for my GTI

stingray71

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
Makes sense computing power in tablets is on par with consoles already. Quad cores coming out this winter/spring. Calling these things a toy is simply moronic. Their versatility is only limited by our imagination.

real easy to hook them up to TVs, convenient if your visiting family/friends. I hope the come out with mouse/keyboard support.

These guys are on the right track to making consoles irrelevant.

G

Wait, why would you be allowed to spend GTX580 money before you own the house and only get $60/week after ownership? Wouldn't that mean before ownership of said house you had to pay the mortgage (so less spending money)? I'm assuming you didn't straight out buy the house as your allowance would be higher than that.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
First, the point of the online services is that you do not need a beefy console to run games, they use their very beefy server infrastructure to make the games run fast and pretty. You just need stable bandwidth and a place to display the video stream.

Take most Android tablets include HDMI ports now so you can connect them to HDMI TV's. Combine this with a bluetooth controller and you have the ability to have a portable console as long as you have a TV and bandwidth at your destination. Hotels have WiFi and most TV's at them now have HDMI. Also you could bring your console to your friends house and hook up. Or move to another room in the house when your wife wants to watch a sappy movie :)

Interesting possibilities.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Or, as I forgot to mention, just set your tablet up on a stand and play with the controller using your 10" tablet as a small TV display. :)

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]With a 580 gtx im not sure why you dont already have an SSD =P. While it's fun and has a certain initial "WOW" factor, it's something that has very limited uses i think. It's amazing that you can stream live game content like this for sure, but in a real world scenario the 20mbit 4g connections are rarely 20mbit constant clean line. The second problem i see in this is, the screen. Who in their right mind would be gaming on a 4inch screen instead of 24inch? No matter how good the resolution on the tablet it will still be a microscopic picture compared.For home use on the TV, this is a great low-cost solution for gamers on a budget. Tons of games at a monthly flat-rate and no worries about upgrading hardware. Competition for the consoles i guess. When is the next gen console out anyways?[/citation]
the point of having a tablet gaming , is not to game on it at home duffus geeze think for a second the article even says

"it makes me happy that I can take my tablet and my controller, stick them in my bag, and take all my games with me"

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]korn007[/nom]Well I have a 20mb 4g connection on my tablet everywhere I go and alot of people do who bought I pads and motorola xooms on a contract.[/citation]

And I can imagine what kind of butt-raping you and others will receive when paying for using extra data because you lost track of your cap while gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.