Only one OS available

kyorg

Estimable
Jan 17, 2015
So, I lately bought myself a laptop
ASUS X555LB,and I installed Windows 7. It seemed ok, but later I realised the date doesnt match,nor does the the currency, etc. So it seems I can install ONLY Windows 8.1 on my laptop, but my question is,will I be able to install Windows 10? Im afraid I wont be able to install it,because I hate Windows 8.1 :(

Thanks in advance,
Pat

bigpinkdragon286

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
I doubt Windows 10 is going to be any worse than Windows 7. Like USAFRet mentioned, having the wrong currency and date really has nothing to do with the operating system, unless there's something wrong with your particular copy you have chosen to install.

ffg7

Splendid
USAFRet. wrong currency & date of windows 7 install has nothing to do with legal install as most likely selected wrong country by mistake.
kyorg, win10 is a free upgrade for 1yr for users using win7 upto 8.1 but not vista or below. can still load win7 but watch what country you set for where you are located & same goes for time zone as you might be in the eastern time zome but select the pacific time zone.

USAFRet

Illustrious

It can. I didn't say it was the specific reason.
But sure...wrong date or language is usually easily corrected.

USAFRet

Illustrious
Well, whatever.
The fact that it DID install Windows 7 (even if improperly) points to the hardware not being the issue as far as "Only one OS available"

So it seems as if Win 7 will install. And if it came with 8.1, it will almost certainly install Win 10 with no problems.

kyorg

Estimable
Jan 17, 2015
Thanks for the answers!

No, It was not a legal copy,but I was just testing it. On the ASUS website there are is drivers only for windows 8.1 64bit,thats why I'm having nightmares about not being able to install Windows 10. I like windows 10 so I'm planning to buy it when it comes out. Any ideas ?

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/X555LB/HelpDesk_Download/

As you can see,it's only Windows 8.1.

USAFRet

Illustrious
So, the hardware had nothing to do with the functionality of Win 7.

Win 10 in its current state should work with Win 8.1 drivers.
And if it was originally installed with Win 8.1, you should not need to buy Win 10. It will be a free upgrade.

ffg7

Splendid
had to upgrade a Toshiba laptop that came with vista just after vista came out from vista to xp as the friend's wife's ancestry progrom would not work in vista but does for xp. that laptop did not have any xp drivers listed on their drivers page but was able to find the drivers off their other laptops drivers pages. had also do that for a customer with win8 who wanted win7 on it but none shown on the driver page. got the win7 drivers & he is still using that laptop now with windows 7.

USAFRet

Illustrious

And I have a 2009 era Tosh laptop, happily running Win 10. All works as expected.
Dualbooting 7 and 10. Previously, it was dualbooting 7 & 8.1.

Reyaz123

Estimable
May 8, 2015
If you want the start menu back in windows 8.1 theres this program you download and install to your pc, that enables you to use the start menu again. Its called classic shell. Try it, it worked for me too.

http://www.classicshell.net/