Only one speaker working in bookshelf speaker

imdylanr

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016
I have two bookshelf speakers with two subwoofers, one woofer, and one tweeter each. One day the tweeters stopped working mid way through a song so I ordered new ones. I tried putting them in today and only the woofers will work now. Does anyone know what is wrong? Thanks!

Solution
Sorry just assumed you were using the avr with the TV.

So the non working avr doesn't work at all, not with the phone, record player or TV either, have you tried the TV though with optical or a console or player with hdmi?

It could be just a setting i hope and nothing wrong with the avr.

boju

Distinguished
Hi,

I tried understanding your setup but still confused.

Is this a 2.1 setup? Two book shelf speakers each box with a woofer driver and tweeter driver?

So if i understand, you bought two tweeter drivers and stuck them in, the positive and negative wires connected and soldered correctly to the driver?

Both tweeters died at the same time? Are these speakers home made? If they are im wondering whether the tweeters are filtered properly with bass blocker capacitors.

imdylanr

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016

Yes, both tweeters died at the same time and yes it is a 2.1 system but each box also has two subwoofers. I also have an external Subwoofer but i don't think it matters in this situation. The speakers are called the Tower II by Cambridge Soundworks. I didn't solder the wires yet but they are connected with spade connectors. There is a bass blocker capacitor soldered to the positive wires of the tweeters. How could I tell if they are being filtered properly?

boju

Distinguished
Would test the capacitor with a multimeter. Desolder one capacitor and check the ohms to what it should be. Look up the capacitor type it is for that information.

Since they both have caps i find it very unlikely both failed at the same time.

Are the spade connectors wired to the capacitor?

Positive wire -> capacitor -> postive terminal on speaker

imdylanr

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016

I will have to get a multimeter tomorrow. The spade connectors are wired to the capacitor.

Do you have any idea why the subs would have stopped working as well? They worked fine even without the tweeters but today when I put in the new tweeters, they wouldn't work.

boju

Distinguished
These the speakers? https://www.cnet.com/products/cambridge-soundworks-classic-series-tower-ii-speaker-wired-series/specs/

3 way, tweeter, mid range and woofer

The speaker wire terminals at the back of the box, theres just red and black yea?

Unscrew the plate and have a look behind it. Check that speaker wires from inside the box are connected to it. That would be my thought why the woofers aren't working, maybe poor soldering it let go from vibrations. But funny how both speakers went and now the subs, perhaps theres nothing wrong with the driver's them selves or capacitors but wiring itself. Hopefully, just reattach job.

imdylanr

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016

The problem is with both speakers and yes, those are the speakers. I will re-solder everything when I get home today. Thank you for your help... I will update when I do this. Could it be an issue with the crossover?

boju

Distinguished
Crossover settings in the avr wouldn't cause a complete blanket over the tweeters or subs not while you're listening.

Inside the speakers are just wire and capacitors to filter certain audio range that would damage. If a tweeter wasn't filtered from low range they would blow pretty much instantly. The woofers will be filtered as well for lows.

For either driver not to work in both towers would point to the avr but why, that doesn't make any sense.

imdylanr

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016

I also have an external subwoofer

imdylanr

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016

Could it be my receiver?

I took the speakers out of the tower because I need I make new ones to accommodate the new tweeters so I will upload a picture of the setup soon. I wasn't able to get to re-soldering today but I will for sure tomorrow.

imdylanr

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016

I was using a TV receiver and I just plugged in a different receiver and all the speakers are working now... do you have any idea what could be wrong with the TV receiver?

imdylanr

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016

It is a Pioneer VSX-823 but I do not have it hooked up to a TV... I am just using it for my phone and a record player. My phone is hooked up via a USB port and my record player is hooked up as if it was a CD player. If it matters, the record player is the audio-technica AT-LP60. I just thought id mention that it is a TV receiver just in case it mattered.

boju

Distinguished
Sorry just assumed you were using the avr with the TV.

So the non working avr doesn't work at all, not with the phone, record player or TV either, have you tried the TV though with optical or a console or player with hdmi?

It could be just a setting i hope and nothing wrong with the avr.

Solution

imdylanr

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016

I hope so to hahaha thanks for all your help...
I hooked up the new tweeters and only one of them is working. I believe it was DOA because i hooked it up the same way I did the other one. I guess I just have bad luck.