Open Source Gaming

spyguy

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
If I download a free open source game can anyone modify that file to do something malicious? My understanding is that anyone can modify the files. Can someone modify an open source game after Ive downloaded it in a way that would affect me? Or once I download it will the file remain the same until manually updated?

Solution
Not without access to that file/PC. It's a client that connects to the server, it's not a wide open door for anyone to just access your files. It's possible the dev has such access so I don't normally run around installing everything onto my PC/phone. But as long as the game is considered "safe" you should be fine.

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Warez style? Warez sites don't host open source games. Downloading games from such sites is pretty much a 100% chance of installing something bad onto your PC.

True open source games are hosted by a site. Unless someone downloads it, modifies it, and somehow reuploads it as the new copy, it should be clean. There is the chance that someone might figure out a way to "publish" an update with a virus in it, but if they have it's not a popular way to spread virus. If you have a good AV program and scan regularly you should be fine.

spyguy

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017

The game in question is Tales of majeyal which is also available on steam. But the developer has it available free on his website. https://te4.org/

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Downloading it from there should be fine. Downloading it from a warez site or something similar might not be fine. Unless someone hacked that site and put a bad copy of it in there you shouldn't get a virus.

spyguy

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
My concern isn't getting a virus when downloading it. My concern is can someone modify open source material that would then do whatever they modified it to do when I execute the file. Basically once its on my computer can just anyone change that file?

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Not without access to that file/PC. It's a client that connects to the server, it's not a wide open door for anyone to just access your files. It's possible the dev has such access so I don't normally run around installing everything onto my PC/phone. But as long as the game is considered "safe" you should be fine.

Solution