Open Source Social Network In Private Alpha

Status
Not open for further replies.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
On one hand I would love to see Zuckerburg get dethroned along with his Facebook, but at the same time I'm getting sick and tired of playing this round-robin game with social networking every couple of years moving everything from Myspace to Facebook and now possibly Diaspora. Social Networking hows now become entrenched in so many peoples lives it's like switching email providers, not a very easy task even with the tools and tricks out there to help simplify the process. If the competition of services keeps going the way they are you're going to have entire IT departments dedicated to maintaining social networking connections and services for a company. We need a one-social-network to rule them all or marketing will splinter and collapse and users will be tossed between a dozen services in which they have to pick and choose which to focus their attention and time to missing out on the benefits of other services.

I find open source to be a comical term to use for advertising their service because if we had other platforms be more "open source" oriented we would've already had a all-in-one site. Maybe this service will eventually get around that? *crosses fingers*

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
I'm getting sick and tired of playing this round-robin game with social networking every couple of years moving everything from Myspace to Facebook and now possibly Diaspora

Gotta go with what works and what suits you personally. While if in it for the self promotion, its not bad having an account with every network out there, Just find a spot and live there.

Myspace was OK, it became a group of poorly coded webpages and a dump of youtube poop videos and bad pirated music.

Facebook seem more formal, to the point, your life on the web, yet offers too much fodder for stalkers

Twitter pretty much put the status update from facebook, and made it into a giant message board. Sometimes i link it as a hybrid IRC chat room / message board postings with no rooms, no subjects.

Google's lattitude tried to clone Facebook but was pretty much a merger of all the other google apps and added "status update". Plus abilities to make yourself super stalkable by having yourself placed on GoogleMaps via realtime for a "Look! I'm HERE!!" feature.

G

"allowing users to retain full control of their personal information including friend lists, messages, photos, and profile details"

If this is true and they get the user experience right it would be worth switching to me. I just wonder if they'll be able to compete without those idiotic apps like FB has. Will developers want to develop for this platform if they don't have enough users to data mine, especially if they can't data mine?

safcmanfr

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
1) Diaspora sounds like a good idea imo....

2) when will someone create a program that logins into all social networking sites (that you are a member of) and allows you to instant update your status/photos etc across all social sites simultaneously? Similar to the messaging clients that allow you to chat with all MSN, IRC, Yahoo contacts at the same time.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I'm somewhat excited for them, but I don't think I'll be joining another social network again. I've been perfectly fine living my life without facebook - it's been quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.