Opera Developer Ports C++ Game to HTML5

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

You cant port a game to html5, html isnt a programming language. You mean they ported the game to java. Whats so special about that again?

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]68jghjr5fgj[/nom]You cant port a game to html5, html isnt a programming language. You mean they ported the game to java. Whats so special about that again?[/citation]

Java is not Javascript.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
This news is huge as far as what will be the next gaming arena and Ubuntu is in the game. The fear I have is that they will move so mauch to web based that Bill Gates's dream of having everyone having to pay a monthly feee to use their computers.
The powers to be really want that and to make our computers into simple dumb terminals. Google is already testing it, Chromebook and look at the lose from moving from a 13" Macbook Pro to a iPad (tampon). I will keep my Pro and OS X 10.6. You can take OS X Lion (iOS on steroids) and your app store forced download of 4Gb to "upgrade" to Lion and shove it where the sun don't shine. Oh wait, your based in San Francisco so instead take it and walk off a short peer.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
"The focus is here is, of course, on the word demo, as it shows the possibilities of running a game within a browser and how we may be playing video in a few years down the road."

Like hell I'll be playing this dumbass browser games in a few years. In a few years, there will be GPUs that will render photorealistic games without trouble, and we'll be playing Crysis 3 =)

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
I would look at buying a iPad if it had some real storage space options to give the capabilities of a real computer such as a SD card slot and a micro-USB port. I would also want the iPad to be able to boot from the SD card slot in some sort of bios screen. Not until then.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Jesus, what a bunch of ignorant children. Steam is a content delivery system. Just because there is Steam on some platform doesn't mean any more games will be available on that platform. The developers still have to port every game to that platform, and if they're not doing it for Windows and OS X, you can be sure they're not doing it for Linux.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Please God, let HTML5 die. Dumb Apple-whores keep droning on about it for years while Flash gets the job done.[/citation]

i have somewhat the same sentiments. however i block ads, and html5 may be harder if not impossible to block out just the ads like you can with flash.

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
[citation][nom]68jghjr5fgj[/nom]You cant port a game to html5, html isnt a programming language. You mean they ported the game to java. Whats so special about that again?[/citation]

Although JavaScript is completely different from Java, literally you are right, because it is as well different from HTML5 /and the fact javascript is developed initially by a browser manufacturer and meant to be run by a browser doesn't make it a part of the HTML specification/.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
one html5 code to run on various modern browsers of different OS, just like java was developed for. will we be seeing JIT compilers later on

G

wasn't this done months ago with quake 2 ?

http://code.google.com/p/quake2-gwt-port/

vittau

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Very interesting, but the problem with JavaScript is that it's a lot harder to efficiently obfuscate code, which could be a problem for more serious game developers.

Status
Not open for further replies.