Opera Launching New "Ice" Browser for iOS, Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Let me breakdown this article so all of you can calm down and come back to reality:

1) Opera is really proud with what they are achieving with Presto.They won't change it for the world after all the work they put into it. Just seach for all the patching they did. You'll think they wouldn't work their ass off to just switch to another browser engine to make things suddenly easier

2) If any of you ever checked any of Opera's presentations on the Developer's Blog you would know Opera has a very clear stance on the subject of the Open Web: "The mobile web is not Webkit".

3) Opera hasn't released Opera Mobile on iOS because the the strict rule of "every browser has to use Webkit-Nitro engine because of bla bla". They haven't released O. Mobile in 5 years since iOS launch and will not compromise their stance now. Hell, Opera Mini is the best browser on any handheld, for just browsing, hands-down.

4) "We need to focus on getting strong products out on iOS and Android. These are the two leading platforms we will focus on… They are the ones phones are being sold for." Right. That's why Opera has the its browser on every platform ever made. Windows, OSX, Linux, Android, iOS, Nokia Belle OS, Symbian S40, Windows Mobile, MeeGo, BlackBerry OS, etc etc. As far as I know, they have a Windows Phone 7/8 browser in the works. So don't come here with the bullshit "we build stuff for the most popular platform".

5) What SANE CEO would say this => "Opera mini is great, but it is not a fully-fledged offering like Chrome or Safari. There are too many sites it doesn't work with". No one would just shoot himself in the foot like this.

6) The one who started this rumor is mentally challenged: "It needs to be a platform where we create users". It seems Opera builds users as of recent

7) Opera has NEVER EVER since its inception shared final release dates. Final releases come from exhaustive testing. If something goes wrong, the so-called "release dates" are push back to make everything (or mostly everything) right.

8) What kind of retarded name is Opera Ice?

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Been using Google Now on my Droid Razr Maxx which is only available on the JellyBean which was accidentally made available on Christmas Eve. It works great, but I think this JellyBean update was missing some intended features, which is why it was pulled.

pacomac

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
No point in using any browser other than Safari on iOS since they are forced to use a slower JavaScript engine.

emiliajackman22

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
upto I saw the check that said $7213, I didn't believe that my neighbours mother woz like they say realey making money in there spare time at there computar.. there great aunt has been doing this 4 only 20 months and resently cleared the mortgage on there mini mansion and got a great GMC. we looked here, http://Great60.com

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
[citation][nom]Cryio[/nom]1) Opera is really proud with what they are achieving with Presto.They won't change it for the world after all the work they put into it. Just seach for all the patching they did. You'll think they wouldn't work their ass off to just switch to another browser engine to make things suddenly easier[/citation]
Presto is one of the main reasons Opera is a great browser. It is the best web engine by far. I'll also say it's the fastest web engine too, even if the benchmarks disagree with me.

So what if webkit gets 10ms speed increase on some obscure javascript test. Opera always loads pages faster than any other browser, and Presto is one of the main reasons things load so quickly.

Webkit for you: "Oh the page info has loaded, but the CSS hasn't loaded, so we'll display a blank white page until the CSS loads."
Presto for you: "Oh the data is here but the CSS isn't? Don't worry, we'll display the page anyway, you don't have to wait 5 seconds for the stupid CSS to load." Hey presto, done!

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I haven't tried Opera's mobile offerings but I love Opera for the PC. Everything Opera has can be found in other browsers, but it's all done better in Opera. The Speed Dial is better than comparable offerings in Chrome and IE for example and the password saving feature requires just a push of a button in the upper left corner of a page versus other browsers which often fill in your username and password but require you to search the page for the login button. All modern day browsers are so similar that the little extra features in Opera set it apart from the crowd.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I love OPERA on my Android phone (4.1) and iPad.... but Tomshardware is NOT compatible with Opera Mini for doing an actual post... it submits, but no data is actually sent.

Opera Mini easily smokes the default browsers in Android and iOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.