Opinion: Why Netbooks Are Doomed

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kipsus

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
It's like trying to prove that only an idiot would buy a small car because it's cheaper, ignoring fuel economy, maneuverability, ease of parking etc.

Instead, everyone should opt for a minivan or at least a wagon with a huge engine, simply because YOU GET SO MUCH MORE FOR A LITTLE MORE MONEY.

P.S. I was one of the early adopters of netbooks and still actively use my EEE 701 because I knew what I need it for when I got it. I have access to a desktop at home, at work and pretty much everywhere I would ever need anything more powerful than a netbook.

And saying something like "some IDE toolbars are too long for netbook screens" to me sounds like "I'm having problems transporting long planks in a Mini Cooper"

bad_code

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
I'd like to read the article but it seems that an ad can't be loaded so I can't read the rest. something about pubads can't seems to transfer their crap to my PC. So I waste my time waiting to read an article but I am really waiting for an ad to load that can't be loaded. That's why I need a T1 to my house. Otherwise the internet would be faster if there were less ads. They blame the slow down in the internet due to videos, never mind the bulky animated ads that distract you from what you are really trying to see. can some one tell me when this ad issue gets fixed ?

erichlund

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
I paid about the same for mine as I would have a premium book reader like the Kindle DX. I can read in the dark. I get about 5 hours on the battery. Oh, and it's not JUST a book reader. I can do other things. It is a bit heavier, but being a tablet, I can lay it on my chest in bed, reverse the screen and operate it using the touch screen.

williamvw

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]Netbooks are a stupid fad that will die out when these people realize how crappy they are.[/citation]
Come on, dark_lord69. If you have a point to make, support it in a persuasive, non-insulting fashion. We're here to have an intelligent dialog, not pointless flame throwing. Like kipsus above with his Mini Cooper analogy. I disagree with his overall slant, but it's a GREAT analogy and a fair point.

As Rachel hinted on the prior page, part of our mission here is to stir up debate within the tech community, to put ideas on the table, and perhaps get buyers and manufacturers alike to think about things from a fresh perspective. Admittedly, the style employed to do that can sometimes get emotions whipped up, but if all we do is degenerate into name-calling an shouting unsupported, extremely one-sided opinions, then all of our time will have been wasted.

I never said that netbooks were without merit. (Compact size, low weight, and low power consumption are always good provided there aren't excessively negative trade-offs in other factors.) My thesis only said that I think the inherent shortcomings in overall netbook design and marketing will doom the category to an untimely death at the hands of notebooks and *future* smartphones. It's OK if people disagree with this statement. Actually, it's GOOD if they do, but only if we can all hash out the debate like grown-ups and collectively do something constructive here.

Vermil

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Amusing article, and opinion, of course.
I don't argue with any of the points he makes. They're all valid.
Rather, I'd say that he never really had a need of a netbook. And that he tried to use it instead of a PC, and of course failed. The cute thing about netbooks are that they're so easy to bring with you, constantly bring with you. And only that is why anybody should get one. If you then expect that attribute to come without other penalties,.. well, frankly, you're a fool.
Personally, I hated my laptop, because it was so heavy and bulky to bring anywhere. But I also realized I couldn't live with a netbook's display and keyboard. So I got myself an ultra-portable notebook instead. Light, flat, Bright, exquisite 15" display, comfortable quality keyboard, long battery life, excellent enough performance with a very good IG solution. I absolutely love it. Portability? Turns out the low weight did most of the trick.

azxcvbnm321

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Hard to predict the future, but I think both Netbooks and Notebooks will survive, however it's going to be the Notebook that's the niche product. While waiting for my new desktop, I borrowed my friend's notebook. Wow was it painful to use, the small keyboard and lack of processing power made me think why would anyone use a notebook if they could use a desktop. I can't think of a reason, so if you're at home, you'll use the desktop period. If you need to do something that requires processing power, you'll use the desktop.

But what if you're not at home? Well what exactly would you need to do away from home that couldn't wait for you to get back and use your desktop or what situations would you need to use a computer? Checking e-mail and internet, ok, word-processing, yes that could be useful, and perhaps watching movies. The above is what 90% of people will want to use away from home. So the question is if it is worth it to lug around a 8 lbs. notebook if you don't need to? No, I would never carry my friend's notebook around town. I do carry books and newspapers however, since I want something to do when stuck in line or taking a break. If the notebook was small enough so that I didn't have to spend any effort carrying it, then I would bring the netbook instead of a book or magazine which is cumbersome anyway. I would be able to entertain myself while away from home and having internet access would be nice, as long as it wasn't too much of a hassle.

Netbooks will be carried by people who just want a way to keep in touch via e-mail or who want to read something while at the beach or park. Netbooks are for people who don't need computing power and don't have to use a computer away from home, but why not have all that a netbook offers if it is not a hassle?

Notebooks will be for the folks who have to do real work outside of the home, and thus will be forced to use an inferior option to the desktop. Many corporate folks on a business trip which so much work stacked up that it can't wait until they go home. Perhaps some other special situation, but no one who has a choice will want to lug around a notebook when they can choose to lug around nothing instead. But a netbook is so light and small that it doesn't become a burden anymore, so people will take that along just like they would a book or Sony Walkman of the past. Netbooks will be the mainstream, notebooks will be for the corporate slaves.

G

Personally, I hope the netbook form factor will continue to exist. I can see that they are niche, and may remain a low-volume seller, but I think there is a distinction to be made between the form factor and the horsepower.

Personally I do not have one but want to get one. I go bicycle touring where you have to carry everything on your bike, so space is limited and weight matters. Also, you can be away from the power outlet for days at a time so battery life is crucial. Do I need to play Crysis on it? No. Would I like the option to? Absolutley.

The difference between an 8lb notebook and a 2-3lb netbook is massive. But the difference for me is in weight and size.

If you can get an i7, 8GB of Ram, 2TB hdd, quad SLI and a 24" widescreen monitor to fold neatly away into a 10" form factor that weighs 3lbs and only draws 30watts at peak then sign me up please. I would love it.

But the horsepower does not always matter. Sometimes the horsepower can be "good enough".

There are applications that the netbook works for, and that's why I will be buying one in the near future.

andyviant

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
So far, the netbook has been the most versatile PC i've ever owned - it keeps finding ways to make my life more comfortable in surprising ways. I have 2 towers (htpc, and gaming) and 95% of my computer use (not at work) is done on the netbook -- sometimes i do turn on the HTPC to serve up media files -- to the netbook.

My back was hurting last week, so I came home from work, ran a bath, set up the netbook 2 feet away, and floated for 2 1/2 hours streaming a movie from my HTPC... longish movie that many comparably priced laptops would not make it through on battery. My back felt great afterwards, and still does - thanks.

It also is a great phone -- yay skype. And i may be an idiot for falling in love with a girl in canada, but I'm not an idiot for buying the netbook to keep her on the line (and visible!) as I move about my apartment and set "her" down wherever I happen to be hanging out. She'll be moving here in a couple of months thankfully, but even then I'll keep in touch with others via the lil' puter.

You may be right that smartphones will encroach on netbook territory, but for both uses I've listed, I can't think of any device that could fill in to do those tasks with as much ease, let alone a device that does BOTH for the money (or at all!?).

The next gen of low power processors will be able to play full HD video, run more apps (not sure what the problem is though, my aspire one is running win7 ultimate + 3-4apps without hiccups) and generally be better. I'll agree with azxcvbnm321 -- netbooks aren't going away, they're going to get better and more pervasive. Thanks for your opinion, and I hope your wife has less trouble with a different piece of hardware -- I'm keeping mine.

G

after seeing all the netbook hater (some are rather extreme), I must submit my 2 cents - all you netbook hater should travel more, see the world outside US - before you start bashing a product that's not intended for you at all.

if you have been to asia or europe, you'll know why small car exist and why a car like smart even make sense.

if you have been to asia, you'll know that 99% of college student only have a bike, and all class schedule are pack from 9-5 and there's no outlet for you to charge.

if you have dig a little deeper you'll know that ultra portable computer have been in high demand in asia or europe, and it used to cost a ton - netbook perfectly fill that market, and it's a huge market.

I'm wonder how even article like this (without any remote understanding of the ultraportable market) so lack of research and 100% personal bias can be posted and approved at all

G

I still use one of the first Asus EeePc 701 netbooks with 4GB SSD, and a Celeron 630Mhz processor; and it's working just fine!
My only complaint is the small resolution of the screen; the rest is perfectly toy-like!

If I'd buy a new one, I'd want one that would give me at LEAST 1024x600, pref. 1280x720 as minimum resolution, and an Atom processor.
Also an SSD.
The speeds of those devices are fast enough. They are not for women, especially not blondies!
But they are good tools for those who know how to use them!

My only other complaint would be I'd love to find a netbook with longer battery life, and perhaps I'd ever buy one with the newer Intel Atom processor and a 6 cell battery that could give me 12+ hours of battery!

You can be sure, if they're priced around 300, then it's going to be "byebye notebook"!!!
My notebook though being 13,3" costed me too much, the battery is worn out, and is freakin heavy! @4 pounds I could be carrying 2 netbooks!

genab

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
My netbook hp mininote 2140 has done me considerably well. i travel 1 hour and 30 minutes to college 3 days a week, and its fantastic for taking notes and doing the casual work every week. I can also get a 6-cell battery to last 8 and a half hours (very difficult to do so on a laptop) my keyboard is 94-98%(can't remember the figure) of the normal the size, and although slightly different, it took very little time to become proficient, which notably would happen with any new hardware. The only problem i have with it is the screen real estate, it's very good for my big assignment (2000 word plus) but it's not meant for that anyway, i can still do it needs be. It also has a 160 gig hard-drive so i can store many movies to watch on the train ride home when i want to.

This netbook is the perfect solution to my situation. If you buy good quality items you'd probably be a lot happier with your purchases!

G

I love my Asus 701 EEE PC. It's super light. It's super small. It displays 800x600 in Windows XP with a suitable driver (scaled but perfectly readable). It connects easily to wireless and wired internet. It does exactly what I bought it for - I use Remote Terminal to connect to my much more powerful PC at home. That does the number crunching, whilst the EEE PC simply acts mostly as a terminal. It's beautifully responsive with even the most ordinary of broadband internet connections, and my back and neck really appreciate me not lugging around my much, much heavier and older laptop any more.

As a bonus, it plays Heroes of Might & Magic II just fine thank you very much.

Used as a basic web surfing and remote terminal they're great. Try to use them as a substitute desktop, and you're going to be disappointed.

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
I have huge hands, can palm a basketball, and I can type on my Asus Eee PC without any problem. I think it's pretty easy to do. If i was typing a multi-page report or something I would rather type on a full sized keyboard, sure. But for typing up emails, IMs, and comments like this, they're more than sufficient.

I think a lot of ppl who got netbooks for their main computer and who dont even make use of the extreme portability and long battery life are dumb for not getting something better/bigger. but for those who need a portable computer with long battery life, netbooks are great.

G

Hey William - would have been easier to get rid of the wife ????

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
[citation][nom]butcher[/nom]11.6" is hardly a netbookwhen netbooks first came out at 7" with linux i had a little chuckle to myself about how annoying they would be to use and how it would just be a fadnetbooks have been slowly getting larger and larger and have pretty much just turned into a cheap alternative to the expensive 12" notebooks now i have to admit that small notebooks will always have their place but the true "netbook" will all but die offhow many people still buy 7" linux netbooks any more?[/citation]

Exactly so.

Modern "netbooks" are simply underpowered ultraportable notebooks. For the most part "netbooks" already are gone, but the name stuck and has been converted into = "small cheap underpowered laptop". By still calling them netbooks it simply pegs that the user will not expect it to have enough kick to do things beyond simple tasks.

I suspect as tech continues to evolve and "netbooks" continue to become more fleshed out ultraportables on the cheap they will keep sales fine. Granted they definitely are not the original "netbooks" but they are more functionally filling the role originally envisioned. A very portable internet and typing maching. Consider, you can already get 12" "netbooks" with very close to full keys.

brains2200

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007
I love my Jornada 728 and of course my HP200 LX that had a phone built in model.
Wrong thread sorry.
:)

Seriously though the big jump that might be interesting is that you get a x86 processor in a tiny computer which means you dont have hunt beg and hack, steal, for Windows Mobile Programs, that are ARM,SH4 etc. You get everything that runs on Window XP

I think there is a use for them. But not to replace a nice big laptop or my power house computer.

They need a graphics card in them. But laptops still have that problem too.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Your wife is not very smart - and you are pretty low on the technical scale yourself if you couldn't properly explain to her what she was getting. I doubt a very tall person would buy a sub-compact car, drive it around and then complain how it feels and blame the concept of sub-compact cars. It's a netbook, and it's super handy for students amongst others. Netbooks will continue to be made and your wife's idiocy is not an indication of this concept's doom.

G

[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]Your wife is not very smart - and you are pretty low on the technical scale yourself if you couldn't properly explain to her what she was getting. I doubt a very tall person would buy a sub-compact car, drive it around and then complain how it feels and blame the concept of sub-compact cars. It's a netbook, and it's super handy for students amongst others. Netbooks will continue to be made and your wife's idiocy is not an indication of this concept's doom.[/citation]
+1, +1, +1!!!
Exactly my sentiments!
A netbook overperforms for it's price!
for $600 I buy 2x netbooks with 1024x600 screen resolution, or a total screen resolution similar to a 1280*960 notebook.
For $600 I'll get 2x2GB of RAM, 2xHT enabled 1,6Ghz processors, 2xAC adaptor, 2x160GB HD's, and 2x3 USB ports.

It's not only good for students, but perfect for travel!
Going to spend 2 days in a hotel, and don't want your $1200 laptop to get 'lost'?

I also believe netbooks are on the rise, in fact, it is notebooks with too powerful processors that are in decline!
One of the most common complains about laptops is BATTERY LIFE!!
Netbooks take the first step in addressing that issue!

I would like to return the question: Who needs a laptop with a corei7?
I bet they are in a minority to the students who prefer a netbook!
In fact, if I'd ever win a very expensive + $1500 laptop, I'd most likely sell it, and buy one or two netbooks from the money. And perhaps a third one 3 years down the road, when new technology has brought a netbook on the same performance levels as today's laptops!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS