Opinions on a Work/Gaming laptop

Gworg

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
Good Afternoon all,

I am currently looking for a notebook to do work as both a work system (I do java and C++ development) and a gaming notebook. I was wondering if I could get your opinons on the following laptop:

Xplorer64-9900 friom cyberpowerpc.com

I am mostly used to desktops (and tend to build my own) but I will be switching to a telecommute position that requires me to come in a couple days a week and would like something portable. I tend to play WoW and a lot of FPS (HL2, COD2, BF2). The big binder is my budget: I can' t really spend more than ~$1500.

Configured it as follows:

*15.4 Glare WXGA TFT LCD display
*Mobile AMD Turion™64 MT-37 CPU @ 2.0GHz 1MB Cache Ultra Low Voltage 25Watt w/ HyperTransport Technology
*1GB PC3200 400MHz DDR SODIMM Memory
*Built-in Mobility™ Radeon® X1600 256MB PCI-Express X16 Video (would rather use an Nvidia card)
*80GB 7200RPM ULTRA ATA 100 HARD DRIVE
*8X DVD REWRITABLE DRIVE
*Intel Pro/Wireless 2915A/B/G 802.11a/b/g 54Mbps MiniPCI Card
*Built-In 3in1 Media Reader
*Web cam if possible
*XP Pro

Cyberpower is offering free shipping to help the deal.

Has anyone had any experience with this company/system, or could they reccomend a good system? Basically for work now I am using a P4 with a gig of memory. My home box is a gaming system, but has been taken over by my newly aquired wife, who is slowly becoming addicted. :)

Take care, and thanks for your time.

Sincerely,

Gworg

HardWareBoss

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2003
For $40 more you can buy the MT 40. Looks like a nice Laptop. I have not bought from them. Do you need dual-core? Have you looked at KillerNotebooks? Make sure you buy widescreen.

alienglow

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
I'm going to be buying my computer for the same type of thing at buyxg.com for $1430 with shipping, before a promotional 5% discount. The XG Action 6000 turion ml-40 and x1600 256mb card, and a built in camera in the case. check it out.

Gworg

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
Don't Necessarily need dual core, but I usually try to get a strong processor. Would Prefer AMD as they usually have better performance with games.

Definitely would like to keep this as speedy processor and graphics wise as possible.

I did look at KN's stuff and it looks great, but the only system I saw on the site that started below my price range before tweaking was had a 12 screen I believe.

Gworg

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
Well after a bit of wrangling with KN, I have gone ahead and ordered a Wakizashi system from him. The man makes good points about pricing, quality, satisfaction. And since he seems well respected by Mr Moderator (aka Hardwareboss) and Ebay, I am gonna take the plunge.

Besides, He has graphs. No one can argue with a man who has graphs!

Will let you all know the results and try to give a layman's review.

BTW, to those nice folks who run TH, could you please give his systems some reviews? The only thing out there that made me nervous was that I could not find a review of his systems. And should the systems make weight, I am pretty sure he would not mind the advertising. :)

Until later,

Gworg
Latest recruit of the Cult of killernotebooks.com