Optical Digital from TV to RCA on the amp

jb2sea

Prominent
May 21, 2017
Before I go to the trouble of figuring out if the converter is bad (by buying a different converter/DAC), does anyone know if the TV will control volume through the amp? I suspect not, but would like to be sure.

Solution
Samsung & lg have both gone the way of no analog out now mate unfortunately .
HDMI or arc seems to be the norm now , I had to replace a perfectly good working Panasonic 5.1 receiver because my newer sharp aquos would not pass 5.1 via optical , only via HDMI arc.

The older lg plasma set I had had no such issue but the screen itself went faulty.
Hence I have an absolute spare of old av equipment which is worth nothing but I can't bear to part with :-/

Re sound bar - no you wouldnt need the CE cross with the soundbar , it has a DAC inbuilt capable of coping with Dolby.

Its a bit of a all in one solution in all honesty.
& you'd go straight optical TV out to optical in on sound bar.

Yes , you'd use the 3.5mm headphone out with a 3.5mm...

jb2sea

Prominent
May 21, 2017
Never? The TV is less than a year old. I guess nothing has changed as far as that is concerned?

So if I can't control volume at all, it sounds like I need a whole new setup. However, I'd really prefer to use the amp, since I already have it. It may be overkill for the speakers I'm using though. 150wpc and the speakers are Polk Monitor 7's (I can't use any larger speakers than those).

I think maybe I should post my situation and take a more comprehensive approach.

You should post the whole setup mate.
Generally though optical never carries volume changes , its a straight digital on signal.
You've got an audio signal of you haven't.
There may be oddities where it is possible but I have NEVER seen a TV set that allows this.

Assuming your amp doesn't have a remote control??

No rca or analog outs ??

TheFluffyDog

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013

Yamitime

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014

What are his specs ? He/she doesnt seem to have posted them.

TheFluffyDog

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
you can use that amp. the amp wattage is just the max wattage at the rated distortion profile. It has nothing to do with the actually power you are sending to the speakers.

All you need is a dac with a volume control

https://www.parts-express.com/dac-digital-to-analog-audio-converter-optical---coaxial---usb--180-998

something like that can bridge the gap. Maybe there are cheaper options.

If the TV has analog out, you could just try that. It can control the analog volume out making things simpler. And i would doubt that the rest of the setup is really good enough to create such a big difference between the digita out and the headphone out. I'm all for high end audio, but it doesnt sound like your setting this up for critical listening.

^ there are always options but they're honestly not cost effective.

Youre fighting a losing battle now with modern TV sets mixing with old analog amps.
You rarely see adjustable volume analog outs on newer more expensive smart tv's.
On the off chance you've got red/white rca outs or a 2 way scart/euro socket you are still not going to get volume control from the TV.
For that its got to have a 3.5mm headphone socket really & sets just don't generally have them anymore.

I've got some really good old quality amps & receivers boxed up in the garage which I was forced to upgrade from in all honesty because most sets won't even pass 5.1 via optical nowadays from external sources.

Yamitime

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014

Exactly where is this garage :)

jb2sea

Prominent
May 21, 2017
I have a UPA-200 Emotiva two channel amp. It only has RCA inputs. My TV is a Samsung 60" with digital optical audio out only. It does do PCM output, and I have it set to that output. Speakers are Polk Monitor 7's.

I installed the Samsung TV into a bookcase, and the sound was terrible (due to rear firing speakers, I assume). I have trouble hearing it, even with the volume at max. So I thought I'd hook up the amp and speakers. Bought a Musou optical digital to RCA converter.
Here... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AWBA8U8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hooked it up and all I get is very loud static. That's where I am now.

Also, I have a center channel speaker I'm not using and I'd like to hook that into the system as well. I assume I would need a separate small amp, a DAC, and a splitter to split the signal from the TV to both the Emotiva amp and the smaller amp. Any suggestions there?

Also, if I could use the setup for music, what would be the best way to go about that? I have an Echo and small Bluetooth speaker we use for music right now. Do they make a little Bluetooth receiver that would hook up to the Emotiva via RCA?

We just bought this house recently, so with everything that is needed, money is an issue. Looking for the best value, but it will need to be on the lower price side of the scale.

Yamitime

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014

Audiophile . I'm a Tannoy fan myself. Paired with onkyo .The sub goes through the next 2 houses so the neighbors say :)

@jb2sea - return the dac , get your money back (should be easy via amazon)

Realistically how much can you spend??
The centre speaker (while youre using a 2 chamnel amp is out if the equation).
You can mix the outputs but youll end up with analog audio & a blown centre speaker (centre speakers will only take the high frequency range).

If you want to use your current amp & speakers & youre after bluetooth connectivity then your singular best option is the cheapest bluetooth enabled soundbar or powered speaker with optical in , headphone out & a basic remote. ( actual audio quality is going to be irrelevant because youre only going to be using it as a source switcher)

jb2sea

Prominent
May 21, 2017
I will return the converter to Amazon.

Not much. With everything we're buying for this new place, the kitty is weak. I really had no plans to even put a stereo system down there, was just going to use the Echo and Bluetooth speaker only. I already have two systems at home. My wife will kill me if I end up with a third one!

I had thought I could buy a little 15watt or so amp and run the center channel speaker with that. But now that I think about it, I'd have to buy an AVR to do that, as I'd be sending all sound to the center channel speaker (as well as the other two) with a splitter. Still, having sound coming from the center, right above the TV, vs just left and right may be worth doing. A small 15watt amp shouldn't blow the center channel.

If I get a Bluetooth soundbar or powered speaker (with optical in and remote), how would that all hook up? Does it have to have headphone out for a connection? I also have a pair of wireless headphones I haven't used in a long time that I'd like to try. I was not impressed with them when I first tried them. But it's been awhile and I'd like to try again. I believe those had RCA inputs.

YOur issue with connecting anything other than the tv into the system is you have a complete lack of inputs mate.
That amp has a singular twin rca input & thats it ??

I think youll find your tv is still outputting dolby via optical even if you set the audio out to pcm.
Which is why youre getting white noise.

https://www.amazon.com/CE-Compass-Digital-Coaxial-Headphone/dp/B008U23F3E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495691922&sr=8-1&keywords=ce+compass+optical+to+rca

The ce compass will 100% work ,theyre the only 'cheapish' dacs I know of that have no issue with dd or ac3 signal conversion to analog.
This is still not going to solve your volume problem but will give you audio.

RE- centre speaker - I could understand using a center to compliment the current tv audio only ,The issue here is that a centre speaker is a mono speaker with a single input.
You would have to short left & right channels to get full audio through it.
& centre speakers are not designed to offer a full range of audio dynamics,theyre designed entirely for centre dialog & high frequency sounds only - stick a bit of background music or bass through one & they will maybe pop or at least distort horrendously.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZYYC3VV?psc=1

sound bar wise,thats the cheapest option I can find that will do everything for you.
& yes if you want to use your current amp & polk speakers you'd use the headphone output on a soundbar to the rca in on the amp.
Essentially youd be using the soundbar as an optical to analog dac with bluetooth connectivity & volume control.

Its somewhat of a dirty solution but who knows,that soundbar moght have really really good audio quality aswell which is always a bonus when you dont laways want the amp & speakers running.

jb2sea

Prominent
May 21, 2017
Thank you!

If I'd be using the soundbar as my DAC, would I still need the CE Cross if I get that soundbar? I assume so, if the CE Cross is the only DAC that can convert my TV signal.

Still not sure how all this would be wired up. I guess I would need a headphone (3.5mm?) to RCA cord to connect the soundbar to the Emotiva? Would I need to go TV optical out to CE Cross, then CE Cross to soundbar via digital optical, then soundbar to Emotiva amp via headphone jack 3.5mm to RCA cord? Would the remote from the soundbar control volume to both the soundbar and the speakers? I suppose it should if it controls volume to any attached headphones.

Would I end up with better quality audio (for the money) using the soundbar and CE Cross vs buying a used AVR? For the $140 I'd spend on the CE Cross and the soundbar, can I find a decent used AVR that has both digital audio and RCA outs? That would take care of my connection problem, and give me volume control as well. Or maybe a separate pre-amp instead of an AVR? Would I still need the CE Cross with an AVR or pre-amp?

Just FYI, I called Samsung and you are 100% correct on the PLM output. Even though there is a menu option to change output to PLM, it doesn't actually change anything. I'd bet that has created a headache for more than one person! My Samsung is only 3 years old. UN7100 60" I believe. I bought two Samsung TV's last fall (UN7100 65") and I just checked them real quick. I didn't look closely, but I don't believe they give you the option to change to PLM. So I guess they've fixed that issue now. I suppose I was just one of the unlucky ones that had no RCA outs and no way to change output to PLM.

Samsung & lg have both gone the way of no analog out now mate unfortunately .
HDMI or arc seems to be the norm now , I had to replace a perfectly good working Panasonic 5.1 receiver because my newer sharp aquos would not pass 5.1 via optical , only via HDMI arc.

The older lg plasma set I had had no such issue but the screen itself went faulty.
Hence I have an absolute spare of old av equipment which is worth nothing but I can't bear to part with :-/

Re sound bar - no you wouldnt need the CE cross with the soundbar , it has a DAC inbuilt capable of coping with Dolby.

Its a bit of a all in one solution in all honesty.
& you'd go straight optical TV out to optical in on sound bar.

Yes , you'd use the 3.5mm headphone out with a 3.5mm to twin rca cable into the amp
That way the sound bar remote can be used for volume.
Unplug the cable from the headphone , audio will switch back to the sound bar itself (maybe nice for later night viewing when you don't want the Polks blasting out).
Obviously that headphone out could also be used for actual headphones aswell .

You've got Bluetooth connectivity built in , a USB port for mp3 audio , & an extra 3.5mm line in for the echo dot if youd rather use it wired. (Also good for plugging in iPods or mobile mp3 players)

Like I say , an all in one solution , not perfect but the sound bar itself may actually offer good quality sound too , reviews actually look OK which is a bonus.

Vs a second hand avr ?? Up to you mate , if you were fkimg that route I'd puahbyou to look for something decent with HDMI arc over just optical though.

Solution