Optical Drive Stuck: Cyberpower Fangbook III HX6-100

homebrewdr

Estimable
Feb 19, 2015
I received a new cyberpower fangbook iii hx6-100 direct from cyberpowerpc.com today. Everything seems to be working smoothly, except the DVD drive is stuck. It wasnt stuck at first, but the 2nd time i tried to open it, it wouldnt open. It is not completely closed, only about 1-2 mm open, but does not open further. Therefore it is not shut or not open.

What Ive done so far: tried the paper clip trick. Since its already kind of open, this didn't work. I also opened up the back to see if i could re-seat the dvd drive, but its not easily accessible. Im not sure how I would gain access to it.

Overall, its just a drive... but it bothers me cause its new. It makes the click sound like it wants to open but it doesnt open. When going into windows and hitting eject on the drive, it says there was an error in ejecting.

Any ideas? Thanks!

homebrewdr

Estimable
Feb 19, 2015

It doesn't click close. When I push it closed and hold it, then let it go, it pushes back out a millimeter or so to the position it was in the first place, so it never actually closes. If it actually was able to close, then that would probably work.

Also, there is nothing in the drive.

I contacted cyberpower and they will send me out a new drive, or I could send it back for repair. There is no way I'm sending it back, paying for shipping, for a cheap drive.

I'm going to have to figure out how to gain access to the drive. Its not in the manual. The fangbook iii hx6 laptop is based off an MSI barebones model, but Im having trouble figuring out the exact model. It is not the "evo" fangbook.. this is the newer one released in October and there is little information out there about it. If I knew this information, I'd be able look up how to gain access. I'm not sure whether id need to go through the top to get in there....because the bottom has a solid piece of connected plastic overtop where the drive is.

Any idea on how to access this? Thanks

homebrewdr

Estimable
Feb 19, 2015

Thanks. I figured out where the screw is. Its inside the case above a subwoofer, so was a little hidden. I'm going to play around with it later and try go get a free replacement sent out.

homebrewdr

Estimable
Feb 19, 2015
I was able to fix it. I had to open up the bottom of the case to get to the screw. The drive slides right out. I was surprised it was a toshiba-samsung drive.

There was actually nothing wrong with the drive. Once out of the machine it could open and close. When I put it back into the machine, it had the same problem though and would not open fully.

The problem: The case, for whatever reason, was so tight around the drive that it pressed inwards against the drive and kind of squeezed it in place. This was preventing it from opening. I played around with it, and I guess the plastic bent back up to where it should be. Now it works.

As a side note/rant, don't ever try to get help from cyberpower's service department.. no matter what. They were of no help and were urging me to send it back as well as pay for shipping..almost to the point where I suspect they have some sort of incentive for it. The dvd drive wasn't worth the shipping costs (for me or them), so that wasn't going to happen and didn't make any sense. They originally told me it must be a faulty drive when I sent pictures, so that's why I assumed it to be true. They offered to send me a drive only if I signed something that was to void my warranty. Kind of ridiculous seeings this issue happened on day 1.