Solved! Optimum laptop resolution

Preds

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016
Hi all you laptop lovers,
I am a newcomer to laptop know-how ad I'm considering buying a new laptop.

I have many questions about laptops and will ask separately on different threads as, the more information I get the better as it may also clear other's doubts on a one thread focus.

So, my question is, what is the best screen resolution for laptops?

I appreciate all feedback, and I greatly appreciate your time. Thanks you.

Solution
depends on the rest of the spec.

I suggest that you put all of your queries in one thread as they will all interrelate. I've been using a 768 screen on my laptop until today (new 4k toy arrived), and it was really really limiting.

Preds

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016

Greetings das_stig, thank you for your prompt response. You said for general use, so I will use that as a base, so what about more demanding tasks such as gaming, for example, will a 1366 x 768 resolution be better or even 720p? Or can a HD panel like the one you suggested work?

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
depends on the rest of the spec.

I suggest that you put all of your queries in one thread as they will all interrelate. I've been using a 768 screen on my laptop until today (new 4k toy arrived), and it was really really limiting.

Solution

rickevans

Prominent
Nov 16, 2017
There is no best screen resolution unless you specify the screen size. In that case pixel density (pixels per inch) matters not the resolution :) Remember you may set the text/item size in modern OS such as Windows 10 so the resolution has no effect to the text size. For 15 inches screen size (the most common size) I would recommend to go with Full HD / 1920x1080.

Preds

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016
Thanks for your advice,
The main reason I ask about resolution differences is because of how they affect battery life and gaming experience.

In general does a lower resolution than full HD use less battery power, or is battery technology able to overcome this on latest models?

For gaming, I've noticed in benchmarks that even the mid to higher tier gpu's struggle to achieve even 30 FPS for 1080p resolutions but perform better at lower resolution.

Also does setting the in game settings to medium or low help, and if so, can it achieve 60 FPS or more?

I should have mentioned this earlier but the screen size I am looking for would be 15".

rickevans

Prominent
Nov 16, 2017
Yes, lower screen resolution requires less power because there is less pixels and cpu/gpu will have do less work per unit. I am not a gamer but the FPS question is hard to answer because it depends on game (or better say on game engine).

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006

Not sure where you are seeing this, it's not a concern any more, anything from a 1050 onwards can do 1080 60fps with reasonable settings.

Preds

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016
Thanks for clarifying that rickevans n also 13thmonkey, will looks into the 1050 gpu laptops. I will do some research n get back with some more questions. Thanks for your time.

Preds

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016
13thmonkey, haha yea, I'm starting to notice that pattern myself. Usually, I play free to play games such as LoL, dota 2, Warface, Warframe, Paladins, Blade and Soul and the like.

They usually have much lower graphics requirements than AAA titles, but I've found that the newer ones are using higher spec hardware such as unreal engine 4 like Paragon and Fortnite... I think.

What do you guys think of gaming laptops though, like Dell inspiron 15 7000 for one....Are they worth it for the premium you pay for them.

Sorry for late reply