Options for connecting Laptop to TV, TV lacks HDMI input

dark ride

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I have done a whole bunch of research on this but have found conflicting information. Basically, I am trying to hook up my newer laptop which has HDMI & VGA outs to my somewhat older tube TV which has composite, S-video, and Component ins. I am looking to do this mostly to be able to watch movies/shows and maybe play some games on the big screen. Has anyone here had any experience with this as far as different options and the quality you can expect? I wouldn't expect it to be top quality, but something that is still watchable without cringing. If someone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. :)

Thanks!

Solution
Scart is for Europe only. I would use a VGA to component video adapter like this.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011407&p_id=8668&seq=1&format=2
This would avoid having to convert a digital video signal to analog for the old TV. Component video will give you a better result than for S-Video. Depending on the TV you may be able to get 720p HD. For audio you can just use the headphone/line level output directly to the audio input of the TV with a cable that has 3.5mm stereo mini plug on one end and 2 RCA plugs on the other.

Shaun o

Distinguished
Well composite, if were talking about just a yellow connector for video output or input is of a very low picture or signal quality.

This is because the horizontal and vertical sync is sent down the same wire, as the color information.
The Image is very blurry and smudged.
And the resolution displayed can be a fixed one depending on the size of the screen and how old the tv actually is. 640*480 800*600 normal mode 1024*768 interlaced expect screen flicker with this mode.

If you have a 15 pin vga output on the laptop, then a 15 pin vga to a scart if the tv has one will work a bit better and the image displayed will be less blurry.

Or you can buy a Hdmi to scart adapter.

Scart is for Europe only. I would use a VGA to component video adapter like this.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011407&p_id=8668&seq=1&format=2
This would avoid having to convert a digital video signal to analog for the old TV. Component video will give you a better result than for S-Video. Depending on the TV you may be able to get 720p HD. For audio you can just use the headphone/line level output directly to the audio input of the TV with a cable that has 3.5mm stereo mini plug on one end and 2 RCA plugs on the other.

Solution

dark ride

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

I just ordered that piece, seems like my best option. Will let you know how it goes. :)