Oracle Appeals Against Google's Android Ruling

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Java's crap and there's no reason to use it on phones when the hardware is basically standardized. If this gets Android off of Java and into something else, all the better.

drbaltazar

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
Nha Java isn't crap.the issue is Microsoft work very hard to make sure Java isn't liked.like try to Enable acceleration ,you can because ms doesn't surprise 2 way.in w8it might work ,haven't tested with jesperjuul Java test .if it works now ,you LL get very fast Java (if your program are optimsed properly of course .programmer ignored a lot of better ways of programming Java because they couldn't work in windows because of the various protocol microst put in(you can do this but only if there is 7 Thursday this week (example)ya if you read between the line it was willfull blocking but hidden in programming (so unless ms met a programmer their odd of being sued were nil while achieving same goal.(staring user to their solution )

chulak

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
Java is warmed over turd. I refuse to program in Java. I don't understand why major companies still use it in their development projects. On top of it, it's PROPRIETARY! It's enough to have to worry about infringement lawsuits from your competitors, but to be sued by the makers of the programming language?

Ellison, Oracle's CEO is the worst. I stopped using MySQL after they bought it. Who want's to start a project with product who's future is uncertain.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I remember when Google refused to use a free to use but proprietary codec for Youtube, instead deciding to go for a less advanced but completely open one that would never be paying royalties if the owners changed their mind.

This can be done with Java, anything new to replace it while being completely open.

naumov91

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
Only if Google decided to go with a language that doesn't run on a virtual machine we'd see better apps on the google store

naumov91

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
Only if Google decided to go with a language that doesn't run on a virtual machine we'd see better apps on the google store

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Everyone hates on Java, but doesn't consider what would happen without it. Without it, your Android apps would likely have to be tweaked for each model of phone by the developer. No dev wants to do that, so you're severely limited in your app choices. Java allows each phone to run apps under the same environment, except when accessing operating-system features obviously.

Don't get me wrong, I dislike Oracle and the way they operate just as much as anyone else. Java has its place... I just wish it wasn't being run into the ground by one of the greediest companies out there.

naumov91

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
[citation][nom]Anomalyx[/nom]Everyone hates on Java, but doesn't consider what would happen without it. Without it, your Android apps would likely have to be tweaked for each model of phone by the developer. No dev wants to do that, so you're severely limited in your app choices. Java allows each phone to run apps under the same environment, except when accessing operating-system features obviously.Don't get me wrong, I dislike Oracle and the way they operate just as much as anyone else. Java has its place... I just wish it wasn't being run into the ground by one of the greediest companies out there.[/citation]

Thats not completely true. Google would just have to abstract the hardware and driver level of android with an api, which they already do (Look up NDK). Every proprietary OS has its own "VM" like programming language to speed up development (objective c for osx/ios, c#/.net for windows) but the difference is they specifically cater to their respective kernels. Java is built for everything. While yes it has its uses and place (specifically education, web, etc) javas inefficient nature isn't suited for embedded platforms (mobile, tablet, etc) and the only reason it was used is because companies didn't have the resources themselves to make languages like c# or objective c

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
the oracle lawyer is wrong, i could argue his same argument in which the judge was right. lets say FORD got a look at the combustion engine which the inventor allowed, Ford looked at the process of how the combustion engine worked and the parts needed to make it work then Ford designed their own combustion engine and not only improved it by more than 30% but also made it internal and lighter weight and more efficient! the down side is they gutted the combustion engine so much alot of the safety the original had was removed and due to the lighter and more efficient design ford made they were prone to damage from cracking cylinders and blowing heads and gaskets and spark plugs!

just like googles android!

having a wheel and trying to claim copy right and patent infringement because somebody used your design to create the ball bearing or cog/sprocket is completely unacceptable they all roll like a wheel. doesn't mean you own the ability to roll.

as far as java goes it's outlived it's usefulness, it's a bigger liability now that every one knows how to do bad things with it, in the wrong hands it's like guns and dynamite for bank robbers, literally! i would like to see it dropped and the use of HTML5 take it's place in most things that are on the net and smart phones.

G

Maybe the example instead of using 'Ann Droid' use the following question as a guide: Is one band ripping of another or are they merely influenced by them? That's the fine line that has to be determined.

Status
Not open for further replies.