Original HP recovery disks. If I format the HD and use these disks to recover/reinstall.....

Ian D

Estimable
Apr 30, 2014
HP pavillion DV6 notebook. Using HP Recovery disks on formatted HD. Does this need the windows Activation code? Badly scuffed and Unreadable on sticker on base ((

mouse24

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
I'm not sure but you can always get the code from right clicking computer and hitting properties. Should be at the bottom. This is assuming you can actually get into windows.

pcmagic

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
Usually the HP discs do not need a license key entered. However, in some circumstances, the software may require you to enter the product key. If you cannot read it, you will need to recover it using software. If you need to buy the recovery disks for your computer you can find them http://www.recovery-disks.com/hp-pavilion-dv6-entertainment-notebook-pc.html

That website stocks the discs for most HP computers. We use them to buy cd sets when our customers lose theirs or we need to replace a set or provide them with a computer we're selling a customer. HP Pavilion DV6 restore disks are easy to use and come with instructions. If you have any trouble, just ask and we will help you install them

Simply going into the computer settings as the other person above stated will not work. That is not actually a product key.

The software you can use is called key finder software. Such as magic jelly bean keyfinder. This should properly pull the key for you. Do not reinstall the system until you use this software to pull the key off. Additionally, I would try and use two different programs to make sure you get the same result. I have had it in the past give me a completely different key.