OSX Leopard on Dell M1330 XPS

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I just finished installing Leopard on my M1330 XPS off of a custom iAtkos DVD install and all is working well. I have bluetooth, camera, and video (8400GS) working great but still need kext files for wireless, audio and wired network. Anyone have any good sources for these kext files?

And no I haven't abandoned XP or even that other os (vista), I still have an image of both and plan to install one or the other on another partition if I can get this osx figured out. I was needing to learn osx insides and outs because my new job requires working knowledge of osx for troubleshooting and mainly bootcamp installations. I have already figured the bootcamp part, pretty easy, but needed more hands on with the rest.

Me being the cheapskate, decided it would be cheaper to install osx on my pc rather than buy a used old mac just to mess around with.

anyone???

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
if only it where that easy. I have read a couple of online threads relating to recompiling and gathering the compile tools and just figuring out what it was I was I need to do made my eyes cross. So far I have found a couple of threads with individuals who have tried compiling a working wireless "driver" and it hasn't been 100% successfull and this is from people who sound like they know what they are doing. OSX is just such a closed OS there are hardly any allowances for driver development.

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
The fix for wireless is generally pretty "easy"-- replace the wireless adapter with one that is compatible. As far as the LAN and audio. . . a recompile is the only solution.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006

Yup I found and ordered a 1505 b/g/n and installed and it worked right up no driver installation needed. Funny thing I had to dig and search for compatibale XP drivers

I got everything working, even sound, and except for Ethernet which I did not need. I then got bored and sold it to a friend

I'm waiting for the new Studio XPS models and will get one of those and try it again. Thanks for the help

rbioman

Distinguished
May 20, 2009

Hello,

How did you make the sound to work.
Please reply.

Thanks,

spugnuts

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Hi warezme,

I am trying to install OS X on an XPS M1330 as well, and have so far had no luck with either the iAtkos 5 or iAtkos 7 DVD.
Were there any specific options in the customize menu during installation that you used to solve any problems? I have got as far as completing the installation but when i try to boot it gives me either a still waiting for root device or IO buffer error and freezes.
Any helo you could give would be appreciated
cheers