OSX software to correct old recordings...

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hi,
one of my friends is a protools user under OS9.
He would like to use OSX all the time but, alas, his protools interface
is apparently not supported anymore by new versions of protools!

He uses his tools to declic old recordings from 78's. He likes the
graphic ability in protools to redraw manually a curve.

Does it exist a software equivalent under OSX that does the same or
even better?

We have looked at Soundtrack Pro from Apple but even there is a graphic
possibility at a very low level, there is apparently no way to use it
practically to suppress a noise or a clic because it at such low level!


TIA
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 17:12:21 -0400, Dr. No wrote
(in article <2005072923122116807%drno@noemailcom>):

> Hi,
> one of my friends is a protools user under OS9.
> He would like to use OSX all the time but, alas, his protools interface
> is apparently not supported anymore by new versions of protools!
>
> He uses his tools to declic old recordings from 78's. He likes the
> graphic ability in protools to redraw manually a curve.
>
> Does it exist a software equivalent under OSX that does the same or
> even better?
>
> We have looked at Soundtrack Pro from Apple but even there is a graphic
> possibility at a very low level, there is apparently no way to use it
> practically to suppress a noise or a clic because it at such low level!
>
>
> TIA
>
>

What PT system does he have that only works in OS 9?
The Digi 001 works in OSX at PTLE 6.4
Even an Mbox works in OSX up to the most recent OSX.

Regards,

Ty Ford


-- Ty Ford's equipment reviews, audio samples, rates and other audiocentric
stuff are at www.tyford.com
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Dr. No <dr.no@noemail.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>one of my friends is a protools user under OS9.
>He would like to use OSX all the time but, alas, his protools interface
>is apparently not supported anymore by new versions of protools!
>
>He uses his tools to declic old recordings from 78's. He likes the
>graphic ability in protools to redraw manually a curve.
>
>Does it exist a software equivalent under OSX that does the same or
>even better?

Which tools is he using?

There are a lot of different noise reduction tools. There are automated
decrackler and broadband noise reduction systems. I don't know which ones
will mate with Pro Tools.

What is his budget?
--scott

--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 2005-07-30 16:13:40 +0200, Ty Ford <tyreeford@comcast.net> said:

>>
>
> What PT system does he have that only works in OS 9?
> The Digi 001 works in OSX at PTLE 6.



Audiomedia III.
And we tried the protools version that works with this: pretty buggy!
Many problems...

dn
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 2005-07-30 17:07:11 +0200, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) said:

>>
>
> Which tools is he using?
>
> There are a lot of different noise reduction tools. There are automated
> decrackler and broadband noise reduction systems

I think the last version under OS9 (i can't verity: he's out for the month).
No automatic tool: a graphic tool! I haven't used it myself so I can't
comment but he said that you can redraw the line as you feel...
The budget should be equivalent to protools.

dn
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Dr. No <dr.no@noemail.com> wrote:
>
>I think the last version under OS9 (i can't verity: he's out for the month).

Last version of what?

>No automatic tool: a graphic tool! I haven't used it myself so I can't
>comment but he said that you can redraw the line as you feel...
>The budget should be equivalent to protools.

You mean a waveform redrawing tool. As far as I know, all of the editing
systems today allow that. That is the most effective way of removing clicks
and pops, but not useful for crackling. Look in the manual for "waveform
editor" or "waveform redraw."

CEDAR has a much more sophisticated redrawing tool, that allow you to look
at a frequency-vs-amplitude-vs-time plot, and redraw that.
--scott
--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 2005-07-31 00:35:19 +0200, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) said:

>>
>
> Last version of what

Of protools! I thought that's what you were asking for.

> You mean a waveform redrawing tool. As far as I know, all of the editing
> systems today allow that. That is the most effective way of removing clicks
> and pops, but not useful for crackling. Look in the manual for "waveform
> editor" or "waveform redraw."

Great! But which programs? Because manuals are great but only AFTER you
purchased the software. You usually can't read them BEFORE...

> CEDAR has a much more sophisticated redrawing tool, that allow you to look
> at a frequency-vs-amplitude-vs-time plot, and redraw that.

My friend has two Cedar boxes. Are they needed for that or is it a
software plug-in for other programs?

dn
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Dr. No <dr.no@noemail.com> wrote:
>On 2005-07-31 00:35:19 +0200, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) said:
>>
>> Last version of what
>
>Of protools! I thought that's what you were asking for.

No, you had said that the tool he was using was a plug-in. Is he using a
waveform tool that is built into Pro Tools, or is he using a plug-in? If he
is using a plug-in, which version is it?

>> You mean a waveform redrawing tool. As far as I know, all of the editing
>> systems today allow that. That is the most effective way of removing clicks
>> and pops, but not useful for crackling. Look in the manual for "waveform
>> editor" or "waveform redraw."
>
>Great! But which programs? Because manuals are great but only AFTER you
>purchased the software. You usually can't read them BEFORE...

That's what the sales guys are for. You MUST be able to read them before,
and you probably should be able to download a demo with a limited time that
you can try also. Otherwise how would you know if a piece of software was
any good or not?

Anyway, I do think the latest Pro Tools probably has a waveform tool in it,
but you can check the website to be sure. I don't much like Pro Tools and it
seems very much like the wrong tool for the job if you're doing mono or 2-track
work, but if he is familiar with it and likes it there is no reason to change.

Assuming he _is_ using an early PT and not a very old Digidesign product.

>> Cedar HAS A Much more sophisticated redrawing tool, that allow you to look
>> at a frequency-vs-amplitude-vs-time plot, and redraw that.
>
>My friend has two Cedar boxes. Are they needed for that or is it a
>software plug-in for other programs?

Which CEDAR boxes? If he has one of the standalone NR units, no. If he has
the DSP box that plugs into a computer, the CEDAR host software that runs on
the computer has such a tool.
--scott
--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 14:16:19 -0400, Dr. No wrote
(in article <2005073020161916807%drno@noemailcom>):

> On 2005-07-30 16:13:40 +0200, Ty Ford <tyreeford@comcast.net> said:
>
>>>
>>
>> What PT system does he have that only works in OS 9?
>> The Digi 001 works in OSX at PTLE 6.
>
>
>
> Audiomedia III.
> And we tried the protools version that works with this: pretty buggy!
> Many problems...
>
> dn
>

I guess so. You can redraw wave forms with PTLE and an mBox. And, thankfully,
Digi allowed multiple levels of undo for the redraw a few revs back.

I think your friend has gotten his money out of the Audio Media III. It's
time to step up.

Ty Ford



-- Ty Ford's equipment reviews, audio samples, rates and other audiocentric
stuff are at www.tyford.com
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 2005-07-31 15:52:51 +0200, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) said:

>>
>
> Which CEDAR boxes? If he has one of the standalone NR units, no. If he has
> the DSP box that plugs into a computer, the CEDAR host software that runs on
> the computer has such a tool. --scot

The standalone...

I'll look at this DSP box. Looks intersting!

Thanks
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 2005-07-31 16:56:02 +0200, Ty Ford <tyreeford@comcast.net> said:

>
>
> I think your friend has gotten his money out of the Audio Media III.
> It's time to step up

Prabably!
I already told him a firewire box would be better because not stuck
inside of a mac and much more possibilities than his audiomedia III...
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Honeybun54 Audio 0
S Audio 1
O Audio 0
twissen Audio 4
TRE IzDOPE Audio 5
X Audio 2
M Audio 1
U Audio 1
P Audio 2
A Audio 2
S Audio 6
D Audio 3
R Audio 2
A Audio 1
F Audio 7
I Audio 1
H Audio 2
L Audio 5
R Audio 4
anwaypasible Audio 4

ASK THE COMMUNITY