Solved! OTA Amplifier before the splitter?

Oct 6, 2018
I want to put a antenna amplifer on an outside (non amplified) antenna via mast, "Before" the splitter (since ny splitters outside) Can I do this???? I'm using direct tvs hookup. (Thank you Direct TV) P.S. I'm not at all knowledgable about this, I just got lucky. I have 3 tvs working great with 16 channels and I live over 30 miles from any broadcasts...can I add the amplifier or should i leave well enough alone?
I'm using an outside amplifier that goes right with the antenna on 3 inch cable and I'm using DirecTV's cable and they do not use RG6. I have 3 TVs splitter is outside I will not be using outside electricity the electricity will be plugged up inside the house and into the power source and then into the TV can I have the splitter between the power source and the amplifier is basically I guess my question.. don't judge anyone by autocorrect lol

Solution

BFG-9000

Respectable
Sep 17, 2016
There is only one purpose of an amplifier, and that is to compensate for losses through long cable runs or many splitters. So you want to put it where the signal is strongest, or it will only amplify noise--before any splitters is the correct place to put it.

As jsmithepa said, you don't need an amplifier if everything is working, including when it's raining. Use one only if you need to add more splitters/outlets, or you get a TV with a particularly insensitive tuner.

Note that amplifiers designed for use outdoors are usually powered by 12-24v over an RG6 cable. They even have some that mount directly on the antenna/dish mast

Solution
Oct 6, 2018
jsmithepa, I will not be using an outdoor utility source. My power source will be inside and to the TV I wonder if I can have a splitter between the amplifier and the power source..???? Hummmmmm