Outlook 2007 auto delete

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Im having trouble with an outlook 2007 setting. Its running on a windows 7 32 bit machine fully updated.

What the user wants to happen is after 7 days begin deleting items in the "Deleted Items" folder. Default I think is just 24 hours. Ive tried the properties on the deleted items and under the auto delete tab set it for 7 days.

Even though the setting is changed it is still deleted daily. Im at a loss and I really dont want to be doing fresh installs, a quicker fix would be better.

Also we are running this in a Scalix environment. I don't believe this should be an issue........

hell_storm2004

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
Have to tried setting a rule to delete the mails from the "Deleted Items" after 7 days? Look into that. I dont think Deleted Items have any rules to delete after 7 days. I have 1 year or more old mails still lying in the Deleted Items folder.

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Ive tried 10 or 5 days to retain deleted items by r-cklicking on deleted items>Properties>AutoDelete tab and setting from there.

Ive created a new profile for the user and still no change. I feel like a reinstall wouldnt fix this problem.

hell_storm2004

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
Do you have an archive PST created? Right Click on Deleted Items, Click on AutoArchive tab and enable auto archiving for it. Set the settings to your liking and see if it works. Reinstall wont help as this is a "settings" problem not a configuration issue.

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011

Wow youre quick lol.

Im hesitant to setup an archive PST especially for deleted items. He would have 10,000 emails archived in a handful of months(Or sooner, very heavy user).

Could this be something server side?

hell_storm2004

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
I just have alerts set for the posts i answer too! :)

Well archiving should not be a problem. If you archive... your main PST just shrinks and the archive PST grows in time. Its not "copy-paste", its more like "cut-paste" of mails. So if he has archived his mails... all old mails after, lets say, 1 month (if he has set that) would move into the archive folder. That way the main PST remains clean and he knows where to look for if he wants some old mails. He can set particular settings for each folder he creates. Nothing happens if he the PST size grows... its just that when going through the PST it would take a little bit more time!

I have mine set to 14 days. So my main PST hardly ever crosses 200MB. And my Archive PST is now something around 4GB! :)

Server side, no idea. But i think that is not possible!

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
The problem with that is our emails are not hosted locally. Everytime someone opens an email its downloaded from their PST on the server. So its not taking up any room, until we make them an offline archive PST. Ill give it a go and see if my boss wants to set that, Ill let you know. Ive got a few more tricks to try......

The setting could be over-written by group policies or by something on the email server. I don't know how Outlook would interact between the server you use, but I can see it not being able to read the rules properly.

Have you looked at Scalix site for anything about this or contacted them?