Feb 22, 2011
Hi,

I recently purchased new computer components:
-amd athlon x3 450 rana cpu
-2x2gb g skillz 1600 ram
-asus m4a79xtd evo mobo
- asus ati 6870 gpu
- coolmaster hyper 212 cpu fan

I put it all together and loaded windows 7 on it and I was able to use the 1 click core unlocker that the mobo is capable of. It was working fine for a few days with the core unlocked, but just yesterday morning when I booted up it said that 4th core was unable to be unlocked and to load default settings, which I did and it booted up fine. I then powered back down and tried unlocking the 4th core again ad it worked with no issues and is still working fine so far. I had 2 questions: I am wondering if that message I got mean that the 4th core is not stable when unlocked? If not, should I not unlock or is there another way around? I was told by a friend that the voltage might too low for the 4 cores since stock cores is 3 and voltage is stock. I am also wondering about overclocking this processor, would it be stable?, What speeds should I overclock to t still be stable?, what settings should I change when overclocking? If it is possible to overclock and still be stable? Thank you for your help

COLGeek

Cybernaut
There is a reason that your CPU was sold as a x3 CPU and not a x4 model. When CPUs roll down the assembly line, they are tested. Those that don't meet all testing requirements are re-programmed and re-branded based on how reliable they are in regards to speed and unlocked cores.

Your 4th core may simply be flaky and little you can do will change that. All that being said, I think you are asking for a lot OCing and having 4 stable cores.

I would recommend you go with 3 cores and then OC to a stable level.

Good luck!

kingkung

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Ok, thank you for your response, but I am new at this and i am curious on what is a stable speed to overclock to on 3 cores? If the answer depends on my setup, what can i do to check for stablity? Is there is program or something i can run to check for stablity?

sadams04

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
Sounds like the 4th core was disabled for a reason and you won't be stable with it enabled. Stock voltage is fine for either 3 or 4 cores at stock speeds. I would recommend reading up on overclocking and stress testing. Overclocking can be perfectly stable if done properly, but you need to take it in steps and stress test along the way. With what you stated I would expect you to end up with three cores and a FSB anywhere from 220 - 240MHz, but that is just a guess...

A threads that may be of use:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-overclock-athlon,2161.html
http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/725742-amd-athlon-ii-x3-440-oc.html

alim3

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
do not overclock your cpu,just declock all cores to -5% when unlocking all cores.if dont work check your power supply.
your pc is good but your cpu not very good, i have a phenom II 555 BE and i unlocked that to 4 cores and it works great.

good luck.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Will running the 4th core break anything (hardware)? No, not likely. However, a flaky core can cause platform (OS and apps) stability issues (BSODs being the most likely result).

Unlocking cores has mixed results. A couple of members here indicated success, but others out there have had little or no success.

Lasy, if the 4th core is problematic, OCing it will certainly bring that issue out. So, if you really want 4 cores, buy a 4 core processor. Otherwise, continue as you are and have fun (as long as you understand the impacts, its all good).

Good luck!