Overclocking a mid 2010 15" Macbook Pro (GT 330m and through BootCamp)

apav

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Hey guys,

This is more so a "is this dangerous?" thread than a "how do I do it?" thread, because I have already been doing it.

I have the higher end 15" mid 2010 MBP with the GT 330m gpu. My NVIDIA drivers drivers are up to date.

I am using my MBP on windows to play SWTOR, but with stock clocks I am not getting playable fps, even when everything is on low/off.

So I downloaded MSI Afterburner and have increased my clocks from 500/1100 to 650/1430. The memory clock won't change even if I force it, it just stays at 867.

Is this safe? I have been doing this since late November for a couple hours maybe 3-4 days a week on average, and there was about a week that I didn't go on my laptop at all because I was away. I go back to stock clocks when I stop playing.

Temps are ok. Normally when OC'ed I was getting around 88-90 when my fans kicked in finally. I propped the sides up with some books allowing air to get under my laptop and now I'm getting 80-84 (around 82-83 avg) when playing.

I'm just nervous that I'm really damaging my gpu by doing this. I am by no means a OC expert, I am only doing this so I can get enjoyable fps. But if I'm really killing my laptop I might just have to stop... thoughts guys?

apav

Distinguished
May 20, 2010

Maybe about 25 fps (seems to have a stutter as well, maybe that is 25 fps though) when not OC'ing and 30-40 fps (average 34-37) with it on.

With that much of a performance increase I'd say go ahead and keep doing it.
The performance gain is pretty good and you're still not at the point when you'd expect to be causing actual harm to the system.

Let the overall system temps and GPU temps be your guide.
82C-88C temp increase is probably OK for reasonable gaming periods.

apav

Distinguished
May 20, 2010

How would I know if I get to the point where I should stop or I will cause actual harm to my gpu/laptop?