overclocking mobile cpu"s

bacis

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
hi
i was just wondering if there is any way to overclock a mobile cpu.
i mean that did not been overheated.?
or does these cpu cames with only that value and there is no way to overclock?

jimytheassassin

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
I have only heard of "undervolting" as with Pentium-M processors. You can probably underclock by backing the mulitiplier down in the bios if you're not locked out. But I believe OCing on any mobile platform us consumers use.. is right out! sorry

However: one point of fact. I have sucessfully OC'd an Athlon XP mobile..only I did it on a desktop motherboard. Abit nf-7s v.1.2 .. The simple reason was these chips had an unlocked multiplier, but no Mobile Motherboard could change it so AMD simply didn't care to lock them down.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
If requested I can get you an unlocked CPU in your system and you can under or over-clock it to your heart content. I have some lying around here right now.

The CPU isn't warrantied for obvious reasons, but it is pretty hard to actually blow up a CPU if you aren't a total elf and just try to set a 2.0 Ghz to 5.0 Ghz right out of the blocks and think it can do it.

Most CPU's from Intel can O.C. 10% no problem whatsoever, 15% is very likely, and the rare CPUs can go very high with the right cooling. Given time to build the system I could modify the heat pipes and fan, maybe add additional heatsinks if I could fit 'em in to get you extra degrees out of the thing to run it pretty fast. Probably 2.7 Ghz out of a T7600. That's 5.4 Ghz from a notebook, and that's freaking fast.

jimytheassassin

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
awesome, that's great news.. I had thought notebooks were just impossible to OC from everything i've read and seen. Is this something the normal user can do in the bios?, or is there a secret back door, and key press required? . hah, 5.4ghz.. that puts new meaning to the song Talking Heads - "burning down the house" =P