Overclocking my laptop

donsrbin

Honorable
May 21, 2012
Hello,

I have an old laptop, and I want to make some use out of it, so I'm trying to overclock it. I've succeeded in overclocking the GPU, but I don't have the option to overclock CPU from BIOS, so I was wondering is there some kind of software that can overclock my processor from windows itself? (or any other solution?)

Here's the configuration (as detailed as I know):

CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz Socket 478 mPGA
MOBO: CLEVO D870P (WMT478/NWD)
RAM: 1.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR @ 160MHz (2.5-3-3-7)
GPU: 256MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700 Series
Windows XP professional 32bit SP3

Please help me. Thanks! :)

donsrbin

Honorable
May 21, 2012

Thanks for the quick answer.

Is there any other way I can solve this problem?

donsrbin

Honorable
May 21, 2012

are you sure I can't do anything?

As for adding ram, it's too expensive because I don't have free slots, meaning I have to buy 2 1GB modules, which are $30 each, which is a bit too expensive...

Amartya

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Well run C cleaner to just speed up your system a bit but if you want more raw processing power then there is no option left other than a new lappy

donsrbin

Honorable
May 21, 2012

I'm using ccleaner and tune up utilities, but I was thinking I could use some more process power

Amartya

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
You see the pentium 4 is a lockrd processor and unless you have a ABIT motherboard you have no hope of bypassing that security. So sorry but no overclocking is possible

donsrbin

Honorable
May 21, 2012

all right. thanks for the info

D

Deleted member 217926

You see the pentium 4 is a lockrd processor and unless you have a ABIT motherboard you have no hope of bypassing that security. So sorry but no overclocking is possible

^ Does not even make sense and is not true at all. The processor is not locked the motherboard BIOS are.

First problem you have is that it's a laptop. Laptops have a very hard time dealing with heat and as such have their BIOS locked to prevent overclocking. Overclocking makes more heat than a laptop can deal with. Pentium 4 processors are major heat producers by nature.

Second problem is you have a Pentium 4. They were not even very good processors when new and even if you could overclock it to 5Ghz it would still be crap just crap running at 5Ghz. I very seriously doubt that something as simple as watching youtube videos would be smooth on that machine.

A modern netbook with a 1Ghz processor will run circles around that old Pentium 4. You might get some general internet use out of that old thing but that's about it.

donsrbin

Honorable
May 21, 2012

You underestimate my power. XD

Yes, I agree it's old, and I'm earning money to get a new one.

BUT!

This laptop can run: warcraft3, need for speed most wanted (old one,not the newest one)/carbon/world, titan quest IT. It's not THAT crappy. I can stream 720P videos on youtube without lagging.

As for heating, I got that covered with great thermal paste, and the cooling pad that's keeping it under 60 degrees in 4 hour burn in test at 100% load. I think that's fair enough as far as temperatures go. (for a laptop)

I don't want a gaming laptop out of it. I just want it to work a bit smoother than it is right now. That's all.

And lastly, you didn't answer my question: can I overclock it or not?

D

Deleted member 217926

No. Laptops have a very hard time dealing with heat and as such have their BIOS locked to prevent overclocking.

donsrbin

Honorable
May 21, 2012

all right. thanks for the info