Overclocking temperatures cpu

Steffan_3

Commendable
Apr 10, 2016
So I'm new to overclocking and have a question, when im using prime95 I stress test my cpu and the temp hits upto 82 celicus ( running an i5 6600k) @4.1Ghz but when monitoring my cpu temps whilst doing my most consuming demanding tasks, eg. playing games and music, I reach 62 celcius.
My question is since the severity of the stress test is much greater than my actual useage, is it okay for me to try bump the OC up some more?

Solution
You may need a better cooler but it should be fine. Again you are operating on the threshold. It wont hurt to try a higher OC anyway. The system will just shut down. See what you can get stable at. Anything below 90 in Prime is pretty safe, as no you wont reach that very often in real world use.

Multipack

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
Yeah but you are almost at your limit. A few degress more will be fairly safe but you'll be going into the red zone. What cooler do you have? You can get a 6600k running at 4.4/4.5 usually.

Steffan_3

Commendable
Apr 10, 2016

It is an Artic freezer 7 pro rev.2 92mm fan

Multipack

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
You may need a better cooler but it should be fine. Again you are operating on the threshold. It wont hurt to try a higher OC anyway. The system will just shut down. See what you can get stable at. Anything below 90 in Prime is pretty safe, as no you wont reach that very often in real world use.

Solution