Overheating causing crashes; suggestions? Potential overclocking?

cv_02kr

Estimable
Jul 28, 2014
Alright. This might be a long one.

First off, I want to say this laptop was bought refurbished, and have no idea what's original and what isn't. Yay!

Well, other than the keyboard that I've replaced twice and once again isn't working.
(currently using USB, before you poke fun at me.)

Anyways, as of late I've noticed my computer running hotter and hotter. Overheating was never much of an issue- although I think this laptop has the worst cooling fan in the history of anything. Maybe. I don't know, maybe I'm just used to old loud fans.

I just now installed Speedfan and my core temps (running FireFox and Trillian, an IM service) is at 55 deg for the first core, and 54 for the second. HD is 34 deg, and "Temp1" is 56. Earlier, it (core temps) was up at 60 some for nearly 10 minutes for no reason. I haven't tested it using the programs that cause it to overheat yet. Actually, let me do that.

70 some degrees, and I'm not even doing all of what I usually do. Wow.

I've caved and bought a cooling pad- those temps are w/o it- instead of using baking coolers and an ice pak.

My laptop battery is slowly loosing vigor- a full charge only lasting about a half an hour, I think. It's also a lot hotter that it sometimes is, and I know full well that cause cause problems. So, what do you think- an overclock issue, or is it my battery causing an overheat?

Toshiba Satellite C675-7200 ( I believe 7200)
Intel Pentium B940 @ 2.00 Ghz
4 gigs ram
Directx 11 ( stuff that would overclock heavy with graphics; a 3D animation program, cpu heavy games, video editing software, etc.)

And in the process of typing this, it's up to 80. I

Edit: Immediately after posting this, it crashed. Poor thing, I'm going to cause damage before it's over with. I rebooted immediately after, (probably isn't smart) and with the cooling pad on for a good 10 minutes it's at around 53. My HD is at 38, though, which seems odd.

BadActor

Estimable
Herald
More than likely, its full of dust and the cooler needs to be cleaned out. Another common problem is that the cooling paste and thermal pads are probably in need of replacement. Unfortunately, this requires taking it apart, but it should solve your problems.

cv_02kr

Estimable
Jul 28, 2014

How difficult do you think it is to replace the paste and pads? That's crossed my mind before, but I don't know if I'm confident in my ability to do it. Cleaning fans, yes. Messing with my CPU- not exactly.

cv_02kr

Estimable
Jul 28, 2014

Thank you! I cleaned the fan, which has already helped so much. Opening my computer I noticed that everything is pretty easily accessible- nothings clamped down or made to where you practically have to break it to remove it. Just screws. So, again, thanks.