Overheating CPU? (Core i7 740QM mobile CPU)

PrimusUrsus

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
Hello, I am a bit of a computer novice. I have an ASUS G73JW laptop with a Core i7 740QM mobile CPU and a Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M video card. For the past month I have been having a shutdown problem when playing graphic intensive games fr 10+ minutes.

I think it is an overheating problem. I downloaded CPUID HW Monitor and am currently showing 80C temp on my CPU (all four cores are similar). I am currently only using Google Chrome and my Outlook is open as well. I have seen my CPU temp get to 99C. So I'm assuming there is an overheating issue.

Any thoughts? Should i just bring it to the service center? The computer is 3 years old or so.

Thanks!

Solution

Just get yourself a can of compressed air and use it until you don't see anymore dust coming out. Make sure you use short bursts as the can will freeze up. After that you can start it up and then see what you're temps are. You're fan is always really gonna be running but it will be running faster as it heats up.

Bean007

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005

When was the last time you used canned air to blow the vents? Make sure that your laptop sits at a angle so it can push the hot air coming out better. If you haven't used a canned air in awhile it could be blockage and if it's stuck in there very badly you might have to take it into a shop and have them open it up.

PrimusUrsus

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
Thanks Bea007. I will try that. I have never done what you suggest. The fan seems to be constantly on as well... I just blew into the vents with my mouth and a bunch of dust shot out... so that may be it!

Bean007

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005

Just get yourself a can of compressed air and use it until you don't see anymore dust coming out. Make sure you use short bursts as the can will freeze up. After that you can start it up and then see what you're temps are. You're fan is always really gonna be running but it will be running faster as it heats up.

Solution

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Canned air will certainly help but will not get the job done, you need to scrub the fan and the cooler with a brush then replace the old compound as the old compound is likely dried out. I got this cpu my self and know how hot it can get.