overheating problems after fan changing

lukastrnka

Commendable
May 11, 2016
Hello everyone.
I have a HP DV7-6b80ec notebook and for some time my fan was making weard noices like its hard for it to spin. So I bought a new fan and dissambled my notebook. I cleaned the cooper fins and changed the fan. Also took of the heatsink and wanted to apply new thermal paste (it wasnt cange since I bought the ntb which is 3 years).

So when I took it of the paste was spilled on the green parts like this (theese arent actual pictures of my parts)
33p52yg.jpg

cpu.jpg

so I cleaned the CPU with some alcohol (even the green parts). On the GPU there is some "protective" plastic layer over it so I couldnt clean it there.
Then I applied my paste that came with the cooler (which is probably some cheap one and shouldnt do that).

I dont know the temperatures before changing the fan but definetly now they are higher (the notebook is hotter on touch and the fan is switching to higher speeds more often). Now when I messure I have CPU idle 55-65 and when was playing it went up to 95 celsius so I quit the game for safety reasons. the GPU is idle 60 and goes also to 90.

So I bought a better paste (Arctic MX-4) and took of the heatsink again. I saw that I have applied also too much thermal paste and it was spilled all over the green parts (like shown on the pictures). So I cleaned it again and applied the MX-4. However the temperatures are still the same.

Im worried that I did some damage to it with the cheap paste that came with the fan.

What should I do?
Would it do some good to take off the plastic cover on GPU and clean properly the green part?

Thank you all for your answers.

RobCrezz

Honorable
Herald
Mar 14, 2013
Doesnt sound like the heatsink is making good contact with the CPU, I would double check how you are reassembling the heatsink to the CPU

lukastrnka

Commendable
May 11, 2016
I pushed it towards motherboard and tighten the screws with the star method - lefttop than rightbottom leftbottom and topright. And tighten them to max

RobCrezz

Honorable
Herald
Mar 14, 2013
Might be worth removing it and taking a look at the paste application, then take a picture and post. this will show how good the contact is.

lukastrnka

Commendable
May 11, 2016
Sorry for the late response, but was bussy and didnt have time to disamble the NTB. I did it now and here are few pictures of that. http://pho.to/AAPPI
The computer in general is slower. Even when the temperatures are low I think it is running slower. When I watch some stream CPU quickly rises up to 90-95 degrees.
Could those thermal pads be old or something like that (can it influence the temperatures of the CPU) ? Or can it be that the fan is bad ?

Thank you,
Lukas