Overnight Battery Drain

alpacino2368

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
Hey guys, Ive posted this issue a couple times on this forum but haven't had much luck or assistance with the problem ive been experiencing, so i really hope someone can help me. The laptop in question is an asus n550jv.

The laptop has the following changes/mods:
-hdd replaced with 840 evo and accompanying magician software
-factory version of windows 8 has been replaced a "clean" oem version of windows 8.1 fully licensed through bios key

The issue I have been experiencing is that if the laptop is fully charged at the end of the night, and left off its power charger, when I wake up in the morning the laptop is fully drained. It doesn't matter if the laptop is left to go to sleep itself or if I close the lid or use the keyboard shortcut, in the morning I the battery is dead. Any help can be appreciated!

Solution
The other thing I would try is to use the default "balanced" power setting without any tinkering.
If this fixes the issue, then you can look at what might be wrong with your current settings.

alpacino2368

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013

1)Power settings were the first thing I checked. Currently running the samsung high performance mode and it currently set to sleep after ten minutes. If needed I can upload screenshots of the plan settings as I have changed them slightly. But essentially everything is set to sleep mode with no wake timers allowed.
2)If I shut down the laptop the battery is fine in the morning.

VincentP

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
Screen shots might be helpful.
I'm not sure what you mean by "samsung high performance mode". It is the whole laptop going to sleep and not just the hard drive right?
The battery will still drain over time in sleep mode. What sort of battery life do you get when using the laptop without power connected?

alpacino2368

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013

Alright I cant get the screenshots probably until tonight as I am at work and not on my laptop.

Samsung high performance mode is a custom power plan released from samsung and it comes with the magician software with the ssd. It allows for higher read write speeds. I have been running this plan long before the issues began.

As for battery performance, it depends. But with the screen on low and the backlight off Im getting probably between three to four hours of actual usage.

As far as Im aware when the laptop goes into sleep mode, the disk light turns off as well as the wireless led. Furthermore I can hear the fans shut down if im in a quiet room. Prior to this issue my device would last days in sleep mode, leaving my laptop in sleep over night only caused a very minimal drop in battery percentage.

VincentP

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
Laptop batteries don't usually last as long as the rest of the laptop. It could just be your battery doesn't hold as much charge as it used to.
If my laptop is low on battery and I let it sleep over night the battery will go flat.
Overnight is usually a good time to charge it though.

alpacino2368

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013

Fair point but I don't think that is the case here tbh. It's too much drainage. Especially considering it's a haswell chip which was designed with low c States. Furthermore I haven't noticed a significant difference in battery life when using the laptop. Similar to day one performance.

VincentP

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
The other thing I would try is to use the default "balanced" power setting without any tinkering.
If this fixes the issue, then you can look at what might be wrong with your current settings.

Solution

alpacino2368

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013

I agree, I dont think the problem is in the physical battery itself. The bios is pretty basic the only thing I found even similar to what we have discussed is a power saving state mode. Im assuming this is asus' name for the low power states, either way its enabled. As for wireless I have never tried to disable that and test it over night.

alpacino2368

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013

K, tonight I will charge it and leave it on balanced with wifi off and ill see where that takes me in the morning.

alpacino2368

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
Quick update: left the laptop in balanced with wifi off and only lost about 10% battery over something like 10hours.

10% battery lose versus 100% is a huge improvement. Im gonna run a similar test before I leave to my classes I have today but this time with wifi on and see where they gets me. Does 10% seem more normal to you? I personally remember it being better but Ill definitely take it!

VincentP

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
10% seems reasonable, I would lose at least that on my laptop overnight.
Leaving the wi-fi on this time is a good test. Wi-fi can be a major battery hog but it should sleep with the rest of the laptop.
It could be an issue with the samsung power profile. performance profiles are often not very battery friendly.

alpacino2368

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
So Ive been reading more into the samsung power profile and apparently samsung designed it to not sleep regardless of the settings, as waking up from sleep is bad for ssds. However Ive found no proof of that anywhere, so ive followed some recommendations and have been using just the stock high performance mode and uninstalled the magician software. Last night laptop slept the whole time without waking up and to my delight in the morning I only lost about 3% battery with the wifi on. Seems like this solution is working but if something changes Ill post back here. Thanks for the help.

pezgordo

Estimable
Feb 13, 2015
Hi I'm having the exact same problem.
My laptop is also an ASUS N550 only the SSD I Installed is a crucial.

Somehting is draining my bat while sleeping and I can't find what it is.
Don't think it's SSD as they don't drain too much power even while usind them at full.

Can you please specify what have you changed to achieve that 10% or 3% battery loss overnight?

alpacino2368

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013

My problem wasn't the physical ssd at all but the software package provided by samsung, it made a series of system changes and created a new power plan. Essentially this software would wake up the pc from sleep after about five minutes or so. I decided to unistall the software and use the stock power plans from windows and now my pc sleeps properly including hybrid sleep. (The 10% was without hybird, 3% was with hybrid sleep). Not sure how any of this relates to your ssd, might be crucials drivers perhaps or something completely unrelated.

pezgordo

Estimable
Feb 13, 2015
I also have some "extra" powerplans that are part of the ASUS software.... although they should actually work better in this case.

Anyway, will set it to use default alanced and see if it improves.