Overvolting my fan

Letten

Estimable
Dec 17, 2014
I was wondering if I can overvolt or speed up my cpu/case fan

I have a 3500rpm cpu fan and a 5000rpm (but smaller) case fan, I was wondering if I can overvolt some of those with my own pc without doing anything crazy, or just metal pieces to speed them up, I don't care about breaking them or making them noisy, thanks!

kanewolf

Judicious
Anything you do, to speed up the fan will make them noisier. RPM is only one aspect of a fan. Diameter, blade shape, number of blades all factor into how much air a fan moves. You need to find the model number of the fans you have, research them on the internet and find out how many CFM (cubic feet per min.) they move. Then you can see if there are alternate fans with more CFM that are the correct size.

kanewolf

Judicious

I didn't say that. I said that anything you do will make them noisier. You have the statement of "not making them noisy" in your post. In my opinion, a 5000 RPM fan is probably way too noisy already. Your CPU fan really should stay hooked to the motherboard so that the motherboard can manage the fan.

Could you try a molex adapter to fan plug? Yes would it make a difference? I have no way of knowing.

TRENDING THREADS