Palm Files Complaint Against Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Lord Jobs hath decreed that mine Pre (being in itself a most unholy device) shalt not defile mine USB port, it having already been consecrated by the Holy iTunes. His word is law.

cbigfoot

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Apple is in the right. If palm goes after apple they will have to go after creative as they do the same thing and the Zune Software same deal. Palm is just wanting a peice of the pie i hope apple counter sues and tkos palm so i dont have to hear how retarded palm is being.

Wayoffbase

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Apple didn't invent USB, so I guess palm might have a case here? We'll see I guess.

I'll skip on any apple bashing, I'm sure there is plenty of that to come.

G

It's easy to see that the iPhone is very popular and this is great for Apple. Personally, I would buy the Pre regardless of its ability to sync with iTunes. In fact, I would avoid the iPhone and iTunes simply because they are becoming too big and too trendy. With that said, I think Apple is doing the industry an injustice with is protectionist approach. It's interesting that they have this stance and yet Steve Jobs was influential in DRM free music.

G

These practices are a perfect example of why I refuse to use Apple products. If iTunes, which I do not use, were a MAC/iPhone/iPod specific application I could understand that they might want to keep it to their own, but it isn't. iTunes is also available to Windows. Basically this is just another way for Apple to go all out anal and annoying on someone/some company.

I wonder though why everyone makes a big fuss if Microsoft doesn't share protocols and such, but you won't hear anyone about Apple keeping everything to itself.
IE is another nice example. Microsoft gets forced by the EU to give customers different browser options (including Safari), yet Apple still get away by only offering Safari. Doesn't that seem odd to you?

Anyways, I hope that when Apple continues these practice companies and consumers will get fed up with them....that would be a much needed humbling experience for Apple.

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
I think palm is right here...we can use itunes on our pc's and non apple devices and mp3's i don't see why a palm pre owner should not be able to use it, itunes is not designed solely for apple products and as such it should not be restricted.

G

Not only Palm is impolite (couldn't they ask first?), and self-righeous (wish-fulfullingly assuming that they HAVE the right to use other people's product), but also a hypocrite, hiding behind the so called free trade banner, but actually taking advantage of other people's hard work, AND coming up with lame excuses such as it would actually help Apple blah blah blah...

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Apple funded, developed and marketed iTunes. This has nothing whatsoever to do with USB policies. It's about Apple's software. If the Pre is so incredible I'm sure their own syncing software will be just as successful.

nerdherd

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I think Apple has the right to do whatever they want with their own software. But I also think Apple is the devil, and I think they need to stop being stupid (yea right, like that's going to happen). They go out of their way to use every non-standard connection and interface that they can just to make people pay $50 for an adapter. It's not what's in the best interest of their customers, it's what's in the best interest of their supposed "prestige" or "exclusiveness" or whatever you want to call it. Any way, I don't think Palm has a case here, but I stand with them morally (so to speak).

HaveSocks

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
Funny part is, Apple is shooting themselves in the foot. By allowing the Pre to sync with Itunes, that means that they have more money coming in through it.

JMS3096

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
Palm doesn't have a leg to stand on here- they're claiming Apple is abusing the USB Vendor ID to lock out non-iPod syncing, while Palm itself is abusing the Vendor ID. They got syncing with iTunes to work by, you guessed it, setting the Pre's Vendor ID to be the same as Apple's.

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
way to go apple, they not only manage to blocked everything they don't like on their product, but they are doing it on other peoples device, whats next? blocking itunes on windows, or are you just gonna make it run SLOWER on windows? how about make your own wireless standard that can only be used by apple products and can only be put out by apple products?

cbigfoot

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I love This any one that appears to be rooting for apple get hit with negative votes. but any one bashing apple gets voted up why is this???

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]cbigfoot[/nom]I love This any one that appears to be rooting for apple get hit with negative votes. but any one bashing apple gets voted up why is this???[/citation]

because when you control 90% of legally purchased music and the only device that can sync with it is your own product you're monopolizing the service.

Sicundercover

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
I think because people are just sick of how much apple fans talk about apple.

That and about a year ago Tom's got a massive influx of Apple fans and people tried to turn Tom's Guide into Apple's Guide. So what you are seeing is a backlash, witch you will eventually see reflected across the country.

This is always the end result of such aggressive advertising.

matchboxmatt

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
I'm just praying for that one day a court ruling will find Apple's stringent approach to the App Store, iTunes player compatibility, and the Mac OS X EULA unlawful.

Just hearing the constant news of them mistreating software developers and competing hardware vendors is painting a different picture than the user-friendly image they're trying to sport.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
usb... universal serial bus. I'm not sure what the license is that apple has agreed to to be able to use the USB interface, but a kid is facing prison time for modifying xbox hardware, I would assume that hindering or all out blocking a device from working over a licensed product would fall under the same category. I sure know that I wouldn't want my patented product being hindered by some third party company. Not to mention the fact that the action represents a monopolistic move on apple's part, forcing competitive devices not to work on your proprietary platform is monopolistic behavior. Same as micro$haft paying game companies to develop for windows/directX is monopolistic and should be torn down as well.
Why can't we just all adhere to open standards and quit this corporate BS. I wish more game devs/device devs supported linux.
Yet another reason not to buy a crApple. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.