Palm Says Apple is Abusing USB ID to Block Pre

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Sheesh! Can't we all just get along?

Power-hungry controlling companies' responces (in general, not specificially Apple): HELL NO! SUFFER!

MJRSnyder

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
so do they think that people won't buy an iPod because they can sync their phone with iTunes? Why does apple even care?

abelpc

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Meh..I am getting a Pre Tomorrow and I could care less if it works with iToons.. I am not an iTool anyways.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Heck, if Microsoft wants to control its HD content and require Xbox users to use their LIVE services rather than go Blu-ray, then I can't blame Apple for wanting iTune users to require their consumers to purchase their premium prices "i___" devices.

Myself, vendors who want to lock me down into their systems usually cause me to turn alternatives. However, some essential services have to be bought (I do need a phone to communicate with various people, so I opt to get locked in by Verizon Wireless).

In the end, if you keep your entire library with iTunes, then remember this phrase: caveat emptor.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]MDillenbeck[/nom]Heck, if Microsoft wants to control its HD content and require Xbox users to use their LIVE services rather than go Blu-ray[/citation]

WTF are you talking about? If you are going to attempt to bash the xbox at least don't be retarded while doing so.

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
This once again proves that if you want a perfect music collection that will never be outdated or incompatible, there's one answer: Pirate it.

rdawise

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Ramar[/nom]This once again proves that if you want a perfect music collection that will never be outdated or incompatible, there's one answer: Pirate it.[/citation]

Unforunately I agree.

Hmmm....I would will the RIAA try to sue Apple for encouraging people to pirate music because of their proprietary (spell check) software/hardware. Or for that matter any company who uses propreitary hardware/software. (Of course not, but one can dream...)

Wayoffbase

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Does iTunes have an EULA? Does it require you to use only apple products? If so, that is a great reason not to use itunes (I never have), but either way they are being babies.

matchboxmatt

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
I'm really hoping this somehow explodes into something big so that Apple's anti-competitive iTunes platform is forced to let 3rd parties take advantage of it as well.

mrkenan

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
Itunes was created for the iPod and vice versa. Why should Apple have to support other devices connecting to its software. If Palm is so worried syncing thier product with your music then why don't they just bust out their own music management software instead of using someone else's?

lolipopjones

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Exactly. Apple made iTunes for THEIR products. Why should they allow a rival to use their products software? Last i checked a company has the right to make software that is exclusive to their hardware. Palm a company that is dying and needs to the Pre to keep it alive is just using this as a marketing stint to try and say their shitty phone is a contender for the iPhone.

platinum195

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Exactly. Why should a company have to support other devices or software? I mean, Microsoft should block Safari from working in Windows, no one would care about that right?

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Apple supports iTunes for the Windows and Mac OS platform for free, with the caveat that you are only supposed to use Apple hardware (iPod or iPhone) with the iTunes software. I'm sure if other companies (like Palm or Rio or whichever music or video device company you care to mention) were willing to pony up the money, they could develop a competitive product to iTunes, or purchase support using a competing piece of software instead of trying to get a free ride on Apple's teat. Hell, I would even go so far as to bet that if these companies were to approach Apple with real money or assistance in supporting iTunes that they might even have a chance at selling their devices as a supported device on iTunes, instead of hacking USB ID's to falsely identify their music devices as "iPods."

CChick

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
[citation][nom]mrkenan[/nom]Itunes was created for the iPod and vice versa. Why should Apple have to support other devices connecting to its software. If Palm is so worried syncing thier product with your music then why don't they just bust out their own music management software instead of using someone else's?[/citation]

[citation][nom]lolipopjones[/nom]Exactly. Apple made iTunes for THEIR products. Why should they allow a rival to use their products software? Last i checked a company has the right to make software that is exclusive to their hardware. Palm a company that is dying and needs to the Pre to keep it alive is just using this as a marketing stint to try and say their shitty phone is a contender for the iPhone.[/citation]

How many times did Apple steal other people's software/hardware without saying a word?

I guess u guys are too dumb to know that.

CChick

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
Not to mention, all iXXXXX products are nothing but overprice garbage. but there are garbage people out there to support garbage, always. so yeah, thats why garbage can stay alive.

GOOD thing I dont have one. YaY !

mrkenan

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
[citation][nom]CChick[/nom]How many times did Apple steal other people's software/hardware without saying a word? I guess u guys are too dumb to know that.[/citation]

And there you go straight to the personal insults. It might help add some potency to your argument if cited some examples that follow your claim...and more specifically ones that pertain to this specific topic. Brilliant comment though, it really added something to the discussion.

G

I thought ITunes was a way to buy music without going to a store. When I buy music and download onto MY pc, I then have to use an I'thing to listen to it? Forcing us to buy I'crap in addition to the music is new to me. I used to buy music from Turtles and listen on my JVC tape player. Ahh, freedom. Slowly but surely becoming a thing of the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.