Panasonic Battery Could Power House for 1 Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
No way in hell that little piece of junk will heat a 2500 square foot home in wisconsin in january for even one hour. It would probably burst into flames in under 5 minutes if you tried.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]loomis86[/nom]It would probably burst into flames in under 5 minutes if you tried.[/citation]It would be heating your home then - wouldn't it?

JamesSneed

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
If this is true I can see this being very usefull in an off the grid solar powered house. Use the surplus electricity to charge the battery durring the day. If up north you would probably couple it with a geothermal system with radiant tubing in the floor to reduce the electrical demand. If solar panels get more effiecent by 2011 they could end up selling a good amount of these. My two cents.

bayouboy

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Yes, to store enough energy to make off the grid solar work, you would need several dozen, if not more to provide enough power. This would also cost an exorbitant amount of money. And then it will cease to work after 10 years. So, more money. Complete fantasy at this level of technology.

Solar panels more efficient by 2011? I'm not saying it can't happen, but unless a major breakthrough is made in photovoltaics, there is no way solar panels can get more efficient.

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Would be better if they were working with that new battery technology developed by Arizona State University.

11 times the capacity of Lithium ION, but 1/3 the manufacturing cost.

And I heard recharge times somehow stay about the same too.

G

The thing is..,u could install it in ur homes and a variety of electrical sources can be used in the future to recharge it. So it's providing flexibility for the future since the method of renewable energy is still undecided at the moment.

kravmaga

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Why li-ion?!? Li-ion cells still suffer from 4-5 year shelf life until they are close to worthless, no matter how light the duty cycle you put them through.

Since these packs are meant to be set in the house and left there, there's no point in using li-ion for the high energy density and low weight. It's not like you'll have to carry it around...
For this application, buying half a dozen deep cycles that are cheaper, much more robust and won't start a lithium fire if they fail makes much more sense.

It sounds like they just bought a li-ion manufacturing plant so they're looking for ways to start making money off of the "green zero emission".

Godiwa

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
1. Americans use WAY too much power - so they won't last as long on this as the japanese would.
2. The idea is brilliant, but some numbers like Amp hours on it would be sweet.
3. Lower prices on solar panels and this device would be excellent, esp. for people that want to live off grid
4. If this device is as good as they say, then I would get one and drop the gridpower

Godiwa

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
[citation][nom]bayouboy[/nom]Yes, to store enough energy to make off the grid solar work, you would need several dozen, if not more to provide enough power. This would also cost an exorbitant amount of money. And then it will cease to work after 10 years. So, more money. Complete fantasy at this level of technology.Solar panels more efficient by 2011? I'm not saying it can't happen, but unless a major breakthrough is made in photovoltaics, there is no way solar panels can get more efficient.[/citation]

solar panels on the market today does about 8-12% efficiency, they have new ones coming out (hopefully soon) with about 30% efficiency, thats a LOT better then the old ones

Godiwa

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
aah no wasn't him, was just that they made it out of a new cheaper material that was more effective and a lot cheaper to mass produce

troger5troger5

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I do not agree with the above statement, people thought that we would be the jetson by now. Jet packs, flying cars.. space ship flying to distant planets... When it comes to power, cheapest wins, right now its oil. Some say we are running out but tech will get us to new places and new supplies that we have not been able to tap into before.

Status
Not open for further replies.