Panasonic EZ28 dvd recorder acting erratic

Jun 14, 2018
My old reliable 2009 Panasonic DMR-EZ38 DVD recorder has started acting erratically. Sometimes with turn-on, it plays and records OK. Sometimes it plays but won’t record.(no it is not a disk problem, already checked it out). Other times it records OK. Almost always plays OK, but usually get the U99(problem with recording) message when trying to record. Also can not depend on setting the recorder to come on and record at a future time. Any suggestions? Cannot buy new dvd recorders, why? Many customers would gladly buy new.

Solution
You can't buy new DVD recorders because it would need an HDMI input to be useful these days. Most sources are HDMI output only. They are all, except for cameras, HDCP encrypted so you wouldn't be able to record from them.
If you want to record over the air channels you get get an ATSC tuner with built in DVR. Some have more than one tuner.
If you are going to make illegal copies of content you can also download just about any program or movie online one way or another.
You can't buy new DVD recorders because it would need an HDMI input to be useful these days. Most sources are HDMI output only. They are all, except for cameras, HDCP encrypted so you wouldn't be able to record from them.
If you want to record over the air channels you get get an ATSC tuner with built in DVR. Some have more than one tuner.
If you are going to make illegal copies of content you can also download just about any program or movie online one way or another.

Solution
Jun 14, 2018
Thanks. No illegal copies! Just for time-shifting. I may have to "rent"a dvr from Spectrum, but I really don't want to. I can still use a dvd-recorder (assuming that it is working). A local electronics guy is looking into my Panasonic dvd recorder. Says it may be fixable.Hope so.