Panasonic Z1 the New Kuro? $6,000 Says Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
I am waiting for $600 dollar 50+ inch and they are pushing newer higher priced models. Well, hope this tech moves down the food chain some.

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
Well at least the fans of plasma still have a high-end option, and it sounds like it actually would do the 1080 res rather than the wierd widescreen 1024*768 plasmas i've seen around awhile ago :p

G

Makes sense! Especially when the EU will forbid the sales of old lightbulbs as well as plasma TV's (this all due to 'green energy').

Plasma is overrun by oled technology! Oled technology brings near to plasma contrast (much more then LED tv's), while consuming less than LCD.
Probably this technology will be cheaper to manufacture than Plasma screens!

Square_Head

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Oh come on, efficiency isn't an issue for most home users. How many of us are using power hungry computers? The focus of this article should be how Panasonic is still fighting for the superior television technology. There will always be people willing to pay for the best technology. Why buy a Mercedes when a Kia will get you down the road the same? Because the Mercedes drives better.

Some people try and compare LCD vs Plasma on the Betamax vs. VHS scale, but that argument falls apart when you consider that LCD and Plasma are completely 100 compatible with the input devices. It will only come down to price and performance. If plasmas offer better image quality, there will be people that buy them. As for me, I'm rocking a 50" Panasonic 800U and am loving it. Keep up the good work Panasonic!!!

turbonetdis

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
to prodigit80, plasmas were not banned for energy consumption. IT states tv's that consumer more than a specified power rating. BTW, Panny plasmas are fairly energy efficient. Especially these new-PDP panels.

woochifer

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
The article seems intent on focusing attention on the sticker shock of a $6,000 HDTV. Yet, it ignores the rest of the Panasonic lineup, which has some very competitively priced models beginning at $750 for their entry level 42" models. Also, the V10 series will use the exact same plasma panel and have most of the same features (minus the 1" thickness and the wireless HDMI input) and performance specs for $2,700 at the 54" size. The prices across Panasonic's lineup are generally lower than what comparable LCD TVs offer up, so I don't know why Tom's Guide continues to parrot the line that plasmas are more expensive.

http://hdguru.com/panasonic-2009-prices-leaked-part-ii-the-z1-plasma-and-more-hd-guru-exclusive/395/

G

Who is this Kevin guy writing this article, "Plasmas are on the way out, and clearly it indeed looks that way, with Pioneer and Visio both discontinuing plasma technology completely."

Are you for real, you have no idea what you are talking about! Pioneer and Vizio got out of the plsama business because they could not compete against quality PDP's from Panasonic, LG and yes Samsung.

And if you ttok the time to eother attend CES or read some new info you would see that plasma is in fact, comming back heavy this year from all three makers.

I guess you don't have to be an expert to have a web page!

theoneandonly22

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I always own the best items when it comes to technology. For my viewing pleasure, I own two wonderful HD sets: the Pioneer 111FD and the 600M. Money is not an object for me so when I was trying to make a decision on whether to get a 600M or the Z1 I was not scared away by the Z1’s high price tag. With that said, I quickly went with the Pioneer 600M because of how satisfied I was with the 111FD, not because of the price difference. However, after taking another look at the Z1 yesterday, fully calibrated in a dim light setting viewing only Blu-Ray movies, I have to say that the playing field is now officially even between Pioneer and Panasonic. Maybe not by the numbers and raw performance, but certainly by the looks of things, the blacks appear to be on Pioneer’s level [not quite as black, but you’d be hard pressed to tell the difference when watching content]. The Z1’ colors are rich and vibrant. And no matter how much action is going on, the screen remains crisp and clean. Just a stunning picture.

Back to the black level… Panasonic, though the Z1 uses the same panel as the V10, somehow uses filters to fool our eyes into thinking that we are seeing blacker blacks than on the V10. Even when the lights are turned up the blacks still hold up incredibly well. The Z1 does a much better job of handling light than the V10 does. My best friend owns a V10. As soon as the any kind of light hits the screen the picture suddenly washes out and looks muddy and noisy. I know many of you are going to start throwing numbers around and say that there is no difference in performance but I’m here to tell you that the Z1 has one of the most beautiful pictures you will ever see. The depth; the clarity; the black levels. It easily beats the V10, It surpasses Samsungs top of the line plasma, and it is now in the league of the Pioneer. Unfortunately, with the high price tag most people wont even take a look at this set. What a shame

G

When will they build a 60 inch model using the Kuro technology. I already own a 50" pioneer model but want to go to the 60" but just missed the last 60" kuro at my local dealer. I dont want to go LCD or downgrade in plasma quality. Any thoughts on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.