Pandora Open-Source Netbook/Console Arrives Next Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
The price of this device will be a deciding factor for many and alas, the Achilles heel for this little device. This device is far too expensive at nearly $500 which could be easily spent on several other devices.

If this device was $200-$250 It would be gone like free hotcakes.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Azathoth[/nom]The price of this device will be a deciding factor for many and alas, the Achilles heel for this little device. This device is far too expensive at nearly $500 which could be easily spent on several other devices.If this device was $200-$250 It would be gone like free hotcakes.[/citation]

at that price, i may as well get a netbook, great device, just to expensive...

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Cool, but they have already shipped a few units actually. The initially run had some quality issues and there weren't too many of them. Considering though that it's now outpowered by a cheaper device with a capacitive touch screen from Archos (like the G9 80 or even the older Archos 70) it's not as appealing as it was even a year ago.

G

4 years too late. My android phone is faster and it's a bottom of the barrel model. Newer phones have dual core, Nvidia dedicated graphics, HDMI, Wifi N, more ram. Plus with the exception of some geeks, who wants Linux on their portable. Android/iPhone, goto apps store, install. This thing you'll have to compile some things, untar/'gz packages, all kinds of crap no one wants to do just to use an app.

Sorry guys, but this sucks. 4 years ago when you announced it, it seemed like a great idea. Now, you're outdated.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]AlexPKeaton[/nom]4 years too late. My android phone is faster and it's a bottom of the barrel model. Newer phones have dual core, Nvidia dedicated graphics, HDMI, Wifi N, more ram. Plus with the exception of some geeks, who wants Linux on their portable. Android/iPhone, goto apps store, install. This thing you'll have to compile some things, untar/'gz packages, all kinds of crap no one wants to do just to use an app.Sorry guys, but this sucks. 4 years ago when you announced it, it seemed like a great idea. Now, you're outdated.[/citation]

keyboard over touch screen any day.

G

Not in exactly the same league, package-wise, but the RaspberryPi will outperform this for $35. You will of course require a case, keyboard, monitor etc. But that has a faster process & gpu and great scope for modification. I remember really wanting the pandora when it was first talked about, but now it feel irrelevent. I'd take it for $100-130, I suppose...

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
The old catch 22. You need to sell a boat load to bring the price down and you need to bring the price down before you sell that boat load; ant quite literally so as they prob. arrive on a boat via container from China :)

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Why would you buy this with things like the Transformer Prime sitting in the same price range. Because it has Linux? How long will it take for someone to hack Linux onto a Prime with a quad core CPU and top notch graphics?

I may have just become a thumbs down target - :^(

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]keyboard over touch screen any day.[/citation]
I think 300€ is enough to buy a good bluetooth keyboard.

drenyx

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
Years too late for me too... That is, I wouldn't have spent that money for those specs now. 3 1/2 years ago I put my money in and hopefully I'll finally see something for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.