Solved! Panny plasma S2 42" vs Vizio LED backlit 42" 120hz

my92agsr

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Hey everyone,

I lean towards the plasma camp in terms of owning a TV. I just bought my first non-CRT HDTV on MOnday. It's the Panny 42" S2 plasma. Now, I know plasma's offer the most natural picture. However, my wife is used to the unnatural sharpness and "pop" from LCD displays. I notice it some, too.

We mostly play games and watch movies. I'm a little disappointed in the extra graininess in certain compressed HD sources and sometimes lack of "pop" that you see in comparable LCD or LED Tvs.

I like the plasma, but it leaves me wanting a little bit more. Should I return it for a VIzio LED to help my desire for artificial fake "color pop?"

Vizio link: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11538961&search=vizio+42&Mo=2&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=vizio+42&Ntt=vizio+42&No=2&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

Solution

casey_souder

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010

I would never get a vizio.

First, I know quite a few people that bought vizios only to have them die soon after the warranty expired.
Second, many vizios that I have seen have very uneven back-lighting. It isn't noticable in bright scenes, but as soon as there is a dark scene onscreen it will drive you crazy (at least it does to me).

As far as your plasma goes, you should be able to get some more punch out of the picture by changing the settings. Go into the picture menu, and there should be some picture mode presets (eg. Dynamic, Standard, Movie, Natural, etc.). There should be one that gives you move 'pop'.

Hope that helps,
Casey

Solution