Patent Troll Data Carriers Sues Another 24 Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
why not go through the lawsuit and ask them to show those so called damages caused by these "patent infringements"?

pretty sure Data Carriers won't have ANY proof of "damages, costs, expenses, and prejudgment and post-judgment interest"...

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
That's not patent infringment, that's patent abuse.
We need to put an end to this bull as it severely restricts development.
As a programmer these days you can not write 3 lines of code without wondering if you may infringe on someone's "patent".

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
class HelloWorldApp {
public static void main(String[] args) {
System.out.println("Hello World!");
}
}

I have the patent to display a string with the System.out.println(); Cease and desist from using it.

sabarjp

Honorable
May 7, 2012
Patents make absolutely no sense for software. Software code is already covered by copyright. If your code gets reverse-engineered or someone comes up with their own implementation, then what is the big deal?

The software industry was perfectly fine before these last couple of years.

G

so many lazy bastards trying to cash in on others work.

no wounder nothing interesting gets made in the USA anymore.

Shit like this definatly desn't incourage people to be creative, and try new ideas. Shocked Steam isn't on the list, mise well be afterall they went after our beloved newegg.com.

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Part of me is thinking... I'm surprised patent trolls haven't gotten angsty enough to sue media outlets for calling them patent trolls yet.

cirdecus

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
Well this type of suit isn't a legitimate suit. It's actually a business. The patent system has indirectly created a money-making business that looks like this:

Law Firms and Lawyers search diligently for patent infringements that haven't been found or haven't been capitalized on by the ownership company. They then purchase those patents (or purchase the company that owns that) and then file a law suit.

Usually, companies like this are literally created to buy and sue for patents. It's a business. If you're a lawyer and you're a techie, you could spend a great deal of time probing patents and finding opportunities to make money.

"Damages" basically can also include "potential revenue loss", meaning that they could claim that if the patents weren't infringed, they would be making X amount of dollars from each of those companies for licensing fees. So while Data Carriers isn't really a real company, they don't have employees, etc, they could still claim "potential revenue loss" as a damage and hit these companies for licensing fees going forward and back date those fees from the time of infringement.

If you want to make money like this, just create a company and register it (doesn't have to actually be a functioning company), then go track down patents and start suing people!

cirdecus

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
Do not confuse "company" as I mentioned above with an actual "company". This is a company on paper, but physically, it doesn't exist. It literally has one person in it, the person who create the suit

G

If its not a real company, therefore it DOESNT create real products, which therefore those scum of lifes shouldn't be able to spout out "blah blah Im loosing money" because in all reality the douchebags arn't even trying to produce a product themselves.

They are just sucking on the teets of actual creators.

Total scumbags. Simple and plain. And I hope they get assraped in jail for being thieves.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
They're suing smaller companies to have an easier target and get a precedent, and then they'll use that precedent to sue bigger companies. It's a very lawyer like strategy.

This situation is only going to get much, much worse.

G

why not patent progress...so we will remain in limbo forever..... someone needs to shut them down and overhaul the patent system. the patent system exists to protect inventors not to generate revenue from patent trolls.

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Being from New Zealand, I find news like this hilarious. People being sued simply because they can be.

Some parts of the world are very crazy.

Secondly, I'd like to invite the US government to stop bashing our government around. Stick to your own country, we don't want your laws here

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
This patent troll is obviously a sign of a system that requires overhaul, but this does not mean the idea of a patent is necessarily flawed, as many like to claim.

G

Shouldn't this patent have expired by now? It was filed over 20 years ago and granted over 17 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.