Pavilion G6 CPU upgrate

Chris Z

Estimable
Jan 16, 2015
Hello guys! I have a Pavilion G6 laptop(g6-1d73u5) with i3 2350m processor. I need an upgrate on the processor as I mainly use it for audio and encoding . I found a better cpu i5 2430M for about 50 $ and believe it would be quite better>
my question is does my laptop support this CPU and if so what do i need to do so I can replace it?

Cristi72

Estimable
Jun 25, 2014
Hello,

If you could change the CPU (some laptops have the CPU soldered onto the motherboard, so first you must open the laptop and see which variant do you have), you will not see much of a difference, because that i5 is also a 2 core / 4 threads model...

Both of those processors come in BGA and PGA forms, if PGA, swapping should be easy but not without possible issue since the heatsink may be designed for a thermal junction of 85°C (the TJMax for the i3-3250M BGA version) and not be able to dissipate the heat from the i5 which has a TJMax of 100°C - both are 35W so I'm sure it's possible but I'd want to watch temps closely. If BGA then professional equipment is needed to swap the CPU, few shops have that equipment (requires a process known as reballing)

Chris Z

Estimable
Jan 16, 2015

This is the only thing I am not correctly informed about, thanks for bringing this up.
I am not really sure what to say I just know that my cpu is i3 2350m but the heating may be a real issue from what you are describing. So the heatsink may only dissipate the i3 i currently own and not the i5 and is there a sure way to know if CPU is Bga or Pga ?
thanks!

Page 84 of the Maintenance and Service Guide Bootcher linked shows a bunch of different heatsinks depending upon configuration. There are part numbers for other heatsinks on that page so you should be able to upgrade it with a more appropriate model if needed.