Solved! pc auto turns on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 13, 2014
Hi,

I just build a new gaming pc yesterday and everything is working fine.
I can game and do everything else.

The problem i'm having is when i turn of the computer it shuts down and just auto starts itself back on.
The only way for me to turn it off is to pull the plug or hold down the power button for like 15 seconds.

I don't think thats great for the endurance of my hardware.

Does anyone have a clue about whats happening here?
I have a aorus z390 elite motherboard and i haven't changed any settings whatsoever.

Thanx in advance !

Solution
Windows could wake up an computer from sleep but it won't power on a PC when it is off.
You could test that by powering off removing the disk with Windows 10.
On Windows 10, if Fast Startup is enabled in Power settings, Windows could power on the computer even if appears to be off.
Windows 10 does not power off completely, with Fast Startup is enabled, it enters a very deep sleep mode.

If your motherboard BIOS is configured to power on after a power failure, it could power on by itself when it detects a power failure from the PSU.
If your PSU doesn't support some power states, likes S5, it could mistakenly power up the system when it isn't supposed to do so.

jojesa

Distinguished
Could you post your system components including model #s.

Disable Fast Startup
To disable it go to Control panel click Power options.
On the left pane click Choose what the power buttons do.
Click the Change settings that are currently unavailable link
Under Shutdown settings uncheck Turn on fast startup.

Also try making your power button shutdown the PC
Go to Control panel click Power options.
On the left pane click Choose what the power buttons do.
On the When I press the power button: select Shut down from drop-down menu.

Oct 13, 2014

I tried what you sugested but it sadly didn't work...

https://imgur.com/UnjyRsW

Here are my specs

jojesa

Distinguished
Disconnect the power button wire from the motherboard and see if it happens again

By any chance is Windows installing updates after it powers on.
Windows 10 might schedule Windows Update & automatic maintenance and that could turn back the PC.

Oct 13, 2014

jojesa

Distinguished

To be safe, you should power off, unplug the power cord from PSU, ground yourself (you should do <-- those steps anytime you work inside a computer), then disconnect the power button cable from the motherboard.
Connect the power cord to PSU. Does the PC powers on by itself?

Did you installed (or they're were pre-installed) standoff between the motherboard and case?

Oct 13, 2014

The pc doesnt power on by itself when its just plugged in.
Only when i power it on and then power it off it auto restarts by itself it doesn't matter if i close it from the desktop or with the power button it just restarts after shutdown.
I can only shut it down permanantly by holding the power button 15-20 sec or unplugging the cord

jojesa

Distinguished

While the system is off, short (bridge) the power switch headers (PWR_SW) with a flat screwdriver or a jumper cap.
The system should turn on.
Shutdown using the Windows 10 Stat menu button. Any change?

You could also test your components outside the case and see if the same issue remains.

Oct 13, 2014

Sorry for my late reply.
My neighbour came in to help me out , he has a job in IT.

We tried powering on the system, taking out the g connector with the front panel cables and then go into sleep mode.
The pc still auto turns on ...
he now thinks my problem is hardware related but i can't imagine what's causing this to happen.

I've build a few pc's in the last couple of years and i never had a problem like this.

Oct 13, 2014

i have found something else that i could try but i can't find the option in my bios.
Someone had the same problem as me and disabled the PME event wake up in his bios.

I cant find this option in my bios, i can only find wake up on lan wich i already tried to disable but without succes.

Does the PME event wake up sound familiar to you?

jojesa

Distinguished

PME in Gigabyte is found in ErP under the Power tab.
It is Disabled by default and if you set to Enabled, you cannot configure Resume by Alarm, PME event wake up, power on by mouse, power on by keyboard, and wake on LAN.
Try and see if that is causing your issue.

Oct 13, 2014

tried it, no succes...
This afternoon i called a computer repair service near me and explained what i already tried to resolve the problem.
They told me that it is possible that the problem is motherboard related.
Like a factory defect, do you think this is possible?
Also i started thinking, maybe it could try and clear the cmos? i don't know if that could have anything to do with it?

jojesa

Distinguished

I wasn't convinced that PME could be causing the issue you were having.

I wanted you to try using the computer outside the case to rule out the PC case, since it could cause that issue.
It could be the motherboard, but also the PSU.

nobspls

Proper
Mar 14, 2018
Bad motherboard is very common affair, especially in light of the recent serious quality control with Ryzen boards. All sorts of odd flakiness regardless of brand too.

Oct 13, 2014

I asked a friend of my father about this issue and he said a couple more of his friends started experiencing this issue over the last few weeks.
He suggested that it could be a windows update or software bug.
I deleted the last windows 10 update ( 1809 ) but it didn't fix it , it did however fix my audio problems.
I called Microsoft about the problem and they took over my pc to try and resolve the issue.
They changed a few things and told me that the issue was resolved, which was not the case....
Is a windows update or software bug even possible?
I could try and boot to windows 7 from a usb drive to try and see if the problem persists or not.

Oct 13, 2014

I will try to start the pc from the motherboard with a screwdriver, i will give an update about what happened.

Oct 13, 2014
I might have an idea as to what's causing this, please correct me if i'm just being stupid.
I noticed that when my computer is completely off ( after holding the power button 10-15 sec ) all my lighting is off , RGB ram , RGB fans , RGB cpu cooler etc,
But the Gigabyte logo on my motherboard and the logo on the factory pre installed io shield are always on.
I was thinking , could it be that when the pc shuts down and the motherboard obviously continues to get power, the pc thinks it is on or has to start up?
like is said i don't know why but this thought just crossed my mind , please correct me if i'm just being stupid

jojesa

Distinguished
Nope, that shouldn't be.
Is the motherboard (BIOS setting) or the PSU.
A computer shouldn't wake up from sleep, let alone power itself up even if lights are on.
I have lights in my PC like many folks and my computer does not wake up from sleep or power itself up unless command is send for it to do so.

Oct 13, 2014

Thankyou for your reply.

Could it still be a windows software problem?
Or should i just return my motherboard ?

Status
Not open for further replies.