PC detecting sound system as a display device

May 15, 2018
Been having some issues with the sound system I have, hooking it up to my pc via hdmi to the gpu (nvidia gtx 1060), then I've also got another connection going from my gpu to my monitor, non hdmi cause monitor doesnt have a slot for it
The monitor works fine, as long as my sound system isnt plugged into the hdmi slot of my gpu, then it will detect that, and my monitor gets no signal

I also tried connecting the hdmi from sound system into my motherboard (msi b250m pro-vh), the monitor works correctly then but the sound system isn't detected.
I reinstalled, updated etc the realtek onboard audio drivers, to no avail.

This sound system previously worked, I believe its something ive changed in nvidia control panel thats causing the gpu to detect what I want to be an audio device, as a display device.

Problem is, when I plug the sound system into my pc, i dont have time to check any of the settings because it starts adjusting the display right away.

normally the screen will turn off three or so times, before finally working and also giving me my surround sound audio, now it just turns off twice and then stays off, but I can hear the sound through my headphones of the device being connected and disconnected
any ideas?

May 15, 2018

I already gave you a good percentage of my specs,

msi b250m pro-vh motherboard
nvidia gtx 1060 gpu
running an i5 intel cpu

the sound system is a Samsung HT-E5550W