PC Freezes when turning on/off Reciver (HDMI)

Apr 16, 2018
Hello,

I have my custom built PC (Windows 10) with a GTX 1080T Video Card plugged via a 20 foot HDMI to a Sony DH-770 Receiver as a 3rd monitor (Other two monitors are Display Port). Whenever I turn on or off the receiver (regardless of the Input) the PC will freeze for roughly 10 seconds and become unusable.

At first I thought this was a power issue as the receiver and PC are on the same electrical circuit. However, I've now added a UPS to the PC and a Voltage regulator to the receiver and the results are the same so I don't believe that is the problem.

When I disconnect the HDMI connection PC to Receiver (from either end) and turn on/off the receiver the problem goes away.

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this? Are there certain settings on the PC/Receiver that can remedy this?

Any tips/suggestions are much appreciated. Thank you!

-Steve

Sounds like the video card is freezing up when the handshake from the receiver is disrupted or initiated and it takes 10 seconds for it to settle.
On some receivers you can set one input to passthrough to the display when the receiver is off. That might keep the video card happy.

Apr 16, 2018

Thanks! I tried this but unfortunately no luck. Any other tips?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Streaming Video & TVs 0
I Streaming Video & TVs 2
A Streaming Video & TVs 2
J Streaming Video & TVs 1
R Streaming Video & TVs 0
F Streaming Video & TVs 1
I Streaming Video & TVs 0