pc gaming with vr headset

nawabkhan_u

Estimable
Sep 24, 2014
i want to purchase pc vr headset for gaming.so iam here to clarify something about vr.
while playing pc games with vr headset this will reduce frame rate of gaming?
i meant that if graphics card have two hdmi port and one port is connected to monitor.at that time i got 60 fps in game.if i connect vr headset on second hdmi port this will reduce the frame rate to 30 or framerate remain constant on 60 fps?

Solution
There is, you would use a program like "Virtual Desktop", which presents your desktop in VR.

I mean, you can do it.. but, yeah.. you are going to have a noticeable drop in FPS unless you have a really nice graphics card.
I am running a HTV Vive on a 970, and running a game in Virtual Desktop would make the game very choppy. maybe 30 FPS or less depending the game. I suppose if you are running a 1080 it wouldn't be that bad, but I'd ask somebody running a 1080 there experience.

And again, beyond frames per second.. the games will look very pixelated with a screen-door effect that is more noticeable in this environment.

In your case, I would recommend a Sony HMZ-T2 Wearable HDTV 2D/3D.. EXCEPT for whatever reason, they are just as...

John_561

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
It's kind of like running two monitors at the same time. It's recommended that you can pump 90+ FPS on both to avoid sickness, though there are some workarounds. You want a GPU with lots of RAM. For rift/vive you're looking at a 1070 low to middlin and ideally a 1080 or 1080ti (when they drop). They're working all the times on reducing GPU load with things like pupillary tracking to offset the rendering load but it's not there yet. Loads will drop and framerate will go up, as well as builders getting beefier GPU's down the line. I wouldn't be surprised to see GPU's on the high-end with 16 gigs of VRAM next year...Maybe even 32 gigs sooner than you think. But you gotta have a beefy GPU if you want in now. Honestly? a 1080 minimum.

bignastyid

Splendid
MERGED QUESTION
Question from nawabkhan_u : "pc gaming with vr headset"

nawabkhan_u

Estimable
Sep 24, 2014
what will be the effect on frame rate when i turnoff the monitor after starting the gameplay?
so gpu only running the vr headset,so i get full gpu power only to my vr headset.am i right?

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
1) I am not sure you can actually turn off the display of your Primary monitor when in VR. (Least in HTC Vive)

Next, I just want to clarify something here... when you say "get a VR headset for gaming" is your primary intent...
- Playing VR games
(or)
- Playing standard PC games in a VR Virtualized environment. (like the Steam VR gaming Apartment thing, or Virtual Desktop)
(or)
- Playing PC 3-D games converted over to VR through a 3rd party software?

---------------------------------------
Why I ask... unless you live in a tiny NY apartment that is too small for a large monitor, option#2 isn't worth it. You lose a LOT of detail with the current generation of headsets, so playing say... BattleField1 would not be the best graphics experience.

------------------------------------------------

In conclusion.... the first response is still correct.
- If you use VR, you are going to lose FPS no matter what.
- HTC vive always keeps the primary monitor up and running, and I don't think you can turn it off. (Rift or OSVR may be different.)

nawabkhan_u

Estimable
Sep 24, 2014
my intention for vr headset only to use it for theatre mode.not for 3d gaming.i want to play any windows games(not steam games.i dont want to play steam games) in a large giant screen in 2d.i dont want any 3d experience.as per your answer " like the Steam VR gaming Apartment thing" but not for steam game for windows games.
i cant afford a projector.so i turn to vr.is there any way to play steamvr virtual desktop like mode for windows games in vr?
is there any vr headset have such function with or without head tracking?
you said that playing games on vr headset cant get all effect which i got on monitor?

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
There is, you would use a program like "Virtual Desktop", which presents your desktop in VR.

I mean, you can do it.. but, yeah.. you are going to have a noticeable drop in FPS unless you have a really nice graphics card.
I am running a HTV Vive on a 970, and running a game in Virtual Desktop would make the game very choppy. maybe 30 FPS or less depending the game. I suppose if you are running a 1080 it wouldn't be that bad, but I'd ask somebody running a 1080 there experience.

And again, beyond frames per second.. the games will look very pixelated with a screen-door effect that is more noticeable in this environment.

In your case, I would recommend a Sony HMZ-T2 Wearable HDTV 2D/3D.. EXCEPT for whatever reason, they are just as expensive as a VR Headset. (crazy, right?)

Anyways.. good luck! :)

Solution

somnium01

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017
What you want is perfectly doable with programs like Steam Theater or Virtual Desktop.

However I don't recommend it at this time. Resolution is too low and you won't enjoy it. Wait for higher res HMDs and it will be worthwhile.

And yes having to render both the original game and the HMD image will have an impact on performance, you may have to sacrifice some details or some FPS on the flatscreen game to make it smooth.