PC hacked through Counter Strike

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Is it possible for someone to hack your PC through CS: GO??? I was playing with a friend and a guy got mad at us. He then gained access to our lobby after the game despite not being on our friends list. My friend kicked him and started the game. While in the game, I lost control of my PC and (I'm guessing it was the same guy) was typing in chat on my PC. I quickly unplugged my Ethernet cable and turned off my PC, before turning it back on and running scans.

I plugged my Ethernet cable back in once the scans had been completed - although they found nothing - and everything seemed fine. After a while, he began typing to my friend again through steam chat this time (outside of the game). This got me even more worried and so I restored my PC to the nearest restore point before this incident. Everything appears to be fine now, but I'm still worried.

What steps should I take to make sure everything is fine and to make sure this doesn't happen again?

I have Avast running and Windows firewall, but they didn't pick up the intrusion. Malwarebytes also came up with nothing. Is there anything else that can help? And how on earth did this guy even manage to do it!?

G

Yes I'm legit. I'm not hacking or running any mods.

When I turned my PC back on, everything was running fine. When I launched CS and then closed it, that's when things started to get messy again and he started typing to my friend. Could he have somehow altered my CS files???

And I didn't mean to select your answer as the solution.

G

Everything began to slow down, my mouse would be bouncing everywhere. I would click on one place and it would click on another. I would try to exit a program and it would move somewhere else. I would type to my friend and it would type something else. I then left it on it's own and he was typing to my friend.

I restored my PC back to a few days and everything seems fine now. I also checked the file integrity of CS and a 4.8mb file was missing - not sure if there's a link.

I'm just worried to even play CS again after this. I have no idea how he did it, but he did. He joined our lobby without being on either of our friends lists, and then he took control of my PC.

G

DMZ mode is disabled as far as I can tell. The only option in my routers settings that look fishy is "Remote Access" which is enabled to allow EVERYONE to access. The port number is 8080.

G

I think I know how he did it. I logged into my router through my browser and found that my firewall settings were set to "always allow" Inbound Services. If someone that knows about these things can reaffirm that this was how he got onto my PC (through my network), then please let me now so I can put my mind at ease now that it is set to "always block".

My routers log is now also showing "user.alert kernel intrusion", so I assume that it is now blocking him from accessing my network.

Hawkeye22

Distinguished

Remote access to your router should ALWAYS be disabled unless you absolutely need it to be on. Even then, it should be restricted to only allow remote access from a specific IP address or via username/strong password and if possible, by day and time.

XxLTxX

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
Well, you can't hack into someone's PC from JUST a CS game, he had to have hacked into your computer from another way ( downloading virus laced files ect) and he could have used CS as a convenient way to troll you from steam and used it's port access as a back door. But, not just from CS

Status
Not open for further replies.