PC Resists Bluetoothing! What's going on?

Wendy S

Estimable
Dec 23, 2014
I'm trying to add bluetooth capability to my Windows PC (Dell Optiplex 790) running Windows 7 Ultimate...I bought a bluetooth dongle that connects to the Line In audio, but I can't get Windows to even detect it, despite trying various software including Intel's bluetooth software. What am I doing wrong?
I'm trying to hook everything up via bluetooth or at least get all my components on the same network. I have already added bluetooth to my vintage stereo receiver, but I'm trying to bluetooth the PC so I don't have to run all the bluetooth off my phone like I'm doing now. If I'm misguided somewhere can you set me straight? Thanks! Your site is awesome, BTW

Solution
If you are trying to send audio TO the PC then connecting a BT receiver to the PC audio input would work.
If you are trying to send audio FROM your PC then connecting a BT transmitter to the PC audio output would work.
Using a USB bluetooth adapter of the correct type would work too.

Wendy S

Estimable
Dec 23, 2014

Well, the package said it would be compatible with iPhone, Android, laptop, etc etc so I assumed (uh-oh!) I could use it for the desktop. I didn't even think about that. And it directs you to plug it into the headphone jack or Line in, so that's what I did. So you think that's the problem, I need a USB plugin. Makes sense. I wonder if there's an adapter I can use to get this one to plug into USB or if i just need to take it back. Well anyway, if that's the problem, it's easy to fix! Thanks

If you are trying to send audio TO the PC then connecting a BT receiver to the PC audio input would work.
If you are trying to send audio FROM your PC then connecting a BT transmitter to the PC audio output would work.
Using a USB bluetooth adapter of the correct type would work too.

Solution