MarilynBr

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
I use PCAnywhere on my home computer to connect to a host computer in the office. Most of the time it works well. But, occasionally for no reason that I can figure out, the host computer acts as if cap lock has been turned on, even though I haven't done that. Then I have to stop working because I can't type any numbers. Anybody else who uses PCAnywhere ever run into this problem before. Is there a way to prevent it or correct it? Marilyn

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Could somebody have accidentally left the Caps Lock on the host computer, on? If you turn the Caps Lock on - on your home computer, does it turn the Caps Lock off in your host session?

The Caps Lock and Num Lock states need to be the same on both computers, or you get the opposite effect.

Also, is your home computer a laptop? Symantic states:
This is caused by an incompatibility between the host's and remote's keyboards. When a pcAnywhere host and remote connect, they synchronize the state of the Num Lock, Scroll Lock and Caps Lock keys between the two computers. Most laptop computers do not have a full IBM 101-key keyboard; instead, they use the Num Lock key to generate the keys that are not physically present.

MarilynBr

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
No, I'm not using a laptop. I was able to type correctly for 1 and a half hours and then it started to do the cap lock thing.

Occasionally, using my cap lock key when this starts to happen will reverse it on the host computer, but not usually.

I have Windows XP and the host computer is an earlier version. Would that make a difference.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
I can't find anything about this problem. I know there's always been issue with the cap/num lock keys not being in sync when one starts a session, but I've never heard of them getting out-of-sync in the middle of a session. I doubt that a different Windows version would be at fault, but you would probably be better off asking Symantec, as I don't see this problem listed in their frequent Q&As.

One possible workaround to try:
Whenever it goes out-of-sync, minimize your session window.
Click on your desktop - this will set the focus on your machine.
Then press the Caps Lock button, then restore the PCAnywhere window.
I'm not sure that this will work in your case, but it's worth a try.

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Dunno if it's the same issue I've experienced with VNC but sometimes if you use metakey combos that take focus off of the window (i.e. Alt+Tab in Windows) it can get confused and think that the key is being held down since the window never receives the "release". You can get it back in sync by pressing the keys a time or two.

Again, not sure if this is your issue but it sounds pretty close to what I've experienced with similar software.